Wiring in windshield mounted lights- could use some advice

Roundlights

Re: RE: I shimmie

Hey all,
Since I have not been steered wrong from here yet I wanted to post yet another..... remedial, quirky kind of a question!

I just picked up 6" ProComp lights & the windshield hinge mounts, got them all mounted and I am going to tackle the wiring this Saturday.

I am totally rediculous when it comes to hiding wires, I like not seeing too much at all.

So I am wondering if anybody has suggestions or pics on how they wired theirs in? I am debating tapping a hole to feed the wires through the windshield frame down to the firewall, but would like to get some opinions or see pics of how others have done it.

Again,
I appreciate any and all responses!

keep the rubber side down.
-round

I mounted mine on the windshield frame mounts. Then I ran the wire down under the vent cowling below the windshield. Once in there I sanded off some paint and ground them out right there. Then ran the positive wires right into the underhood area, down the firewall to my switch on the dash. I'll see if I can get some pics for you. Do you have a TJ? I would imagine you could do just about the same on any jeep.

jumppr said:
I mounted mine on the windshield frame mounts. Then I ran the wire down under the vent cowling below the windshield. Once in there I sanded off some paint and ground them out right there. Then ran the positive wires right into the underhood area, down the firewall to my switch on the dash. I'll see if I can get some pics for you. Do you have a TJ? I would imagine you could do just about the same on any jeep.

Hey Jumppr,
I do have a TJ.
That sounds like a resonable way to go with it. I am really wanting to go from directly behind the light right into the window frame somehow, leaving only about 2 inches of wire showing (from the back of the light to the windshield frame) I am just not sure what kind of "dead ends" i would run into there!

Thanks for the input, would love to see pics if you get them!

I'll try and get some tonight. Not trying to brag, but mine is the cleanest installation I've seen yet. Of course I sit and look at all my projects for weeks and months trying to figure out the best way to do them. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist.

Of course I sit and look at all my projects for weeks and months trying to figure out the best way to do them. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist.[/quote]

Oh dude I feel ya there. I mounted everything last night, and held off on the wiring just so I could plot it out. I really only want 2" of wire showing!

How about security? I am paranoid the first time I leave my rig on a trail to go hiking somebody is going to rip them off.

I know KC has those locking nuts, have you seen any other way of securing them??

RE: 15" wheels on discs made for 16" wheels

Hey,
I dropped my windshield and ran the wires under it, then to get into the dash, I went through the hole where the wiper arm comes through (which You don't have on TJ's) then it was all run under the dash, the only wires you see are the 3" of wire going from the light to the windshield.

This is the best pic I can find
image-missing.png

T176/300 for a T150/20

jps4jeep said:
Hey,
I dropped my windshield and ran the wires under it, then to get into the dash, I went through the hole where the wiper arm comes through (which You don't have on TJ's) then it was all run under the dash, the only wires you see are the 3" of wire going from the light to the windshield.

This is the best pic I can find
image-missing.png

Thanks jps4, appreciate the insight. Mean looking rig too!

RE: 4.0L operating temp

I sent you a PM. I need your email address.

I helped my friend put windshield lights on his TJ and we dropped the windshield and ran the wires right under the frame of the windshield then took off his speaker grill covers and ran the wires behind that and under the dash. As for the ground we extended it and ran it under the dash also to avoid corrosion.

Back