15" wheels on discs made for 16" wheels

hoobness

RE: Sound? What sound?

Tonight after I got the tub off my rig, and had the chassis rolled outside to power wash it, I noticed something about the D44s I plan to mount under it...

I dont think the brakes will fit inside my wheels!! I planned on just getting new rims to match the bolt pattern, but I never took into account that the larger brakes on a D44 from a 89 Grand wagoneer might not fit inside a 15" wheel.
I have brand new Good Year MTRs, that Ill surely lose money on if I got to sell them, if thats the case I will prabably stick with the D30, and 35 for a while... plus I just realized Im not equipped to regear the D44s... And the gears are in the mail.

crap!

Sure enough the Waggy wheels are 16"!!

Im just eyeing it at this point, but if anyone has info, or better (or any) news for me, please let me know.

thanks,

very unhappy camper

15" wheels will fit!

Stock chevy wheels from my 77 1/2 fit perfectly, it is close, but they will fit.

I will try to snap some pics of mine, I have less than a 1/4 inch clearence but that is OK

I dunno.. looking at the clearance currently there as the axles sit on the waggy wheels in my driveway, it looks like the calipers are really close to the wheel. The rears seem ok, but the front.. well Im gonna have to see so believe.

If they dont fit, Im gonna put the axle swap on the back burner. Get the Chassis and tub swap done first - get it driving - and then move on to the axles at a later time.

As I look at my project, Im thinking that is the way to go. After all, I got $1000 left, (for the body work) and you and every manual I read says leave the diff regearing to a pro. So Id rather swap the axles in later when I can afford it -than drive around in a Jeep with all different color body panels. Dont deel like primering it...

But dont think Im not gonna go down there now and measure!! Its very tempting!!!

Grind down the calipers. There's plenty of material there.

That's what just about every Chevy guy has to do with D44's and D60's when they go to 15" wheels. That's what I did with me Chevy too!

second, grind the calipers down and youll be fine. there are tons of guys running 15 inch rims on one ton axles, have you seen those calipers!?

Back