Oil leaks R Us..

JoeBishop

I have just purchased a 1990 wrangler sport its my second jeep although i have come across 3 oil leaks on this Jeep. I would return it and keep looking, but I really enjoy this Jeep and I wouldn't mind spending the money to fix some minor things. I have a question though reguarding the vavle cover and weather or not i should invest in a allumium one or just deal with a stock plastic one. And if so what is the last time of a stock Valve cover (plastic one). Thanks eager to hear some responses

Also, If anyone has any nice sites for some custom stearing wheels or any other parts for good prices just leave them in your posts thanks
image-missing.png
[addsig]

haha... finding a 10 year old jeep without oil leaks is like finding a credit card with low interest rates. mine leaks a lot, i don't care... 'its a jeep thing...'... haha... where are you leaking from?[addsig]

all my leaks were from the valve cover. you can try to tighten it down a little. best fix is a new metal valve cover. jeep parts, try ebay or a local jeep club.[addsig]

It's from my vavle cover hehe yeah and i know they leak. Its just the I dont feel like putting saw dust all over my drive way so i dont make a mess everywhere. I'll look into a metal one thanks
image-missing.png
[addsig]

my 91 has a nasty leak from the valve cover, and also a steady drip from the rear main seal when it idles...to the point that i go through about a quart a week...but im scraping the chrysler garbage thats under the hood for a nice chevy small block...however, i have been running 50% lucas oil stablilizer the past 2 times i've changed my oil...i just run 2 qts of that and 2 qts of Quakerstate 4x4 semi-synthetic...its cut my leaks by almost 75%, i only have to add a qt every 2-3 weeks now so that could be an idea for a somewhat easier way to slow the leakage

[addsig]

Yeah see I want to scrap my engine and do the same cause to be honest I wouldnt mind throwing a 6 cyclnder under the hood and dump my weak 4 And that slow leak down your backside seal is nothing its just the oil coming off the top and the reason why your getting the low idling is you need to replace your distributor cap and wires maybe even new spark plugs.. Just a idea Hopefully a alluminium cover will solve the solution or the new plastic one im getting for the time being.. In my area the metal is back ordered 500 times
image-missing.png
so i have like a 3 month wait[addsig]

Good old jeep leaks i think rear main and i am sure other spots but as long as i dont park in peaples i like driveways who cares! Some day i shall repair thee old toilete!!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I don't know if anyone else agree's with me but either He was hammered when he made that last post or He is just off track a bit cause i can't understand that heh
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Joe, I have a 89 YJ and it leaks too. I replaced the Valve Cover and Gasket and a new transmission was put in last year, so the rear main seal is fine. I just gave up looking for the source, puta small pile of cat litter in the garage where I park it, and had a bumper sticker custom made that says, "MY JEEP DOESN'T LEAK, IT MARKS IT'S TERRITORY"

Just a nature of the beast.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

heh.. I really need that Bumper sticker also I have a question about old faithful in the driveway. Can someone give me the base Distance you get off 1 gas tank.. And does your say jeeps run better on a full tank of gas compared to a 1/4 tank of gas.. Cause i find it mine runs like a fully loaded benz when i tap it off.. Words for thought
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i got a 4cylinder and 30" a/t's. on a tank of gas (14 gallons) i get about 210 miles. It rides better with a full tank cause there's weight on the back springs which doesn't make it so sensitive to every little bump in the road.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

has anyone tried any of that engine gasket restorer stuff that's supposed to stop leaks? i'm willing to try something like that, but i'm kinda skeptical of throwing unknown crap into my engine without knowing it'll work (last time i did that it cost me a new radiator)...
image-missing.png
thanks![addsig]

yeah dingus, i used Lucas Oil Stabilizer and it worked pretty well, reduced my leakage considerably but didnt stop it i ran 50/50 oil and stabelizer[addsig]

my 82 cj-5 258 doesnt leak a drop......just wanted to brag a little
image-missing.png
[addsig]

If your Jeep don't Leak it is most likely Empty! Better check your levels!
image-missing.png
Tug[addsig]

hmm.. My jeep stopped marking its grounds ! The stock gasket cover worked...
image-missing.png
Maybe you guys should give it a try... "word of advice my friend power cleaned his engine by spraying it with a high presure water cleaner... It knocked all the grim out of cracks and made a massive leak in his manafold... I would'nt do it if I wear you Girls dont look under the hood they just see the Jeep !
image-missing.png
"[addsig]

Has anyone ever had a faulty PCV valve cause an oil leak on a 4.2?[addsig]

Back