this may be normal...but

OhioMike

it seems that my rockers are not getting oil after start up...the rear ones are but the ones for cylinders one and two seem to take awhile...they also sound like they are chattering running down the road or sitting still...they were all torqued down with the valves closed...and to 18 pounds each...according to my haynes...actually i did 20 pound because my torgue wrench starts at 20...

it runs fine other than that...just a concern...

the oil pressure sits at about 30lbs...at speeds it picks up...but it hops around...i think maybe my electrical problem is gettin into my gause as well...

my temp gause reads off scale hot at all times when electricity is aplied...and the ful gauge reads off scale full...but it has done that since i bought it...at half tank it reads correctly so i think maybethe rheostat in the tank may have a dead spot?

RE: Re: MPG?

What year jeep are we talking about here. I know I tracked my rattle problems around for a long time. Kept hearing all kinds of valve noise at highways speeds. Set timing did TFI reset timing kept checking plugs after everything it finally ended up being my timing chain. Depending on how many miles are on your motro that might be your problem.
Randal

RE: Re: A/C - Overheating woes...

it's an 87...i pulled the valve cover off and it takes about 15 minutes at idle to get oil to the 1 and 2 cylinder rockers...

Not sure.....
The lifters are drawing oil right from the main oil gallery, through the lifter and pushrod up to the rocker, as I'm sure you know. It's probably between the lifter and pushrod, I would guess, if oiling throughout the rest of the engine is right.

should be...it hasn;t started knockin yet...i talked to one guy who says it is normal for a 6 cyl to do it...but i'm not a really goot car mechanic i'm sure you guys figured out already...so this is new to me...think maybe the oil pump just isnt puttin out the flow but has the pressure to make the gauge read it...o_O

Possible causes for valvetrain noise stemming from an insufficient oil supply, according to an FSM.

1. low oil level ----- No, since it's only happening to a couple of them
2. Low oil pressure(from pump)----- No, you have good pressure
3. Plugged or damaged pushrods------ maybe?
4. Wrong tappets------No, the others work fine
5. Plugged oil gallery in block-------maybe?
6. Excessive tappet to bore clearance

*I would also consider damaged tappets. You obviously have the correct lifters because the rest are doing fine, but could those two be clogged or damaged?

I've never paid attention to it, but I would question the idea that this common.
Even if it is, your case is excessive.

yeah i am questioning it...all the parts are new...the tappets push rods and rockers...

the bore may be excessive thoguh...thet is somethin i had not thought about...

i have a hard time thinkin a clogged galley cause it does get oil...just takes awhile...correct me if i am wrong but it should not matter how big the hole is...oil will go through it...it just may be reduced dramatically as to how much gets through...just my reasoning on that...

maybe i should just put a high pressure pump on it?

Back