New shocks but...steering linkage - leaking lube

geopig

Coil and Ballast Resistor

Hi all,

I successfully changed my shocks yesterday (a first for me), on my 91' YJ. Replaced them with some DoestchTech DT3000's and man what a difference that made with my ride. I've had this jeep for almost 3 yrs and these were the stock shock absorbers. So needless to say, she's smooth like butter now. Also did the tire rotation while I was at it.

Anyhow, I also decided to lube the chassis while I had easy access to everything. This was also a first for me. I had been taking it to the quick oil change places until a little over a year a go, then started doing my own oil changes but had yet to lube the chassis. The problem is all of the steering ball joints leaked lube when I pumped it in them. One leaked from the fitting which I will replace but the rest had seals that were broken and leaked. So my question is whether this is something that I should be really concerned with and take immediate action? Secondly, I'm assuming I have to replace the entire steering assembly to fix this or is there some way to fix the leaking seals? Oh, also I have power steering.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Geoff

You can buy replacement rubber boots for the tierod ends, that is if the TRE's are still in good shape and have no slop in them.

RE: Re: RE: how to reset the ecu?

Thanks for the info bounty! I checked it out and the whole tie rod end is only $15 per side. But what exactly do you mean by slop? The tie rod itself and the ends are not bent at all if that is what you mean. Cheers.

Like Bounty said , they're boots and when filled with grease it squirts out, even new ones. Unless they're torn, just wipe off the excess grease and you're good. Excessive movement or slop is cause for replacement.

XJ mods..

By slop, I mean have somebody else turn the steering wheel while you watch every TRE (tierod end) for any slop.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Think this guy likes his wiring??

Thanks a bunch guys, I'll check that out.

Back