Check engine light???

SWFL

RE: Re: Sporatic vibration

My check engine light popped on yesterday and when I turned off the engine then restarted it when out for a while and then popped on again about 5 minutes later while driving. Today I rode the YJ all over town and on the highway and the check engine light never came on. Its a 4 banger with aprx 99,000 miles on it. I am confused....Why would it come on....What does it mean...Is it harmfull to continue to drive it...The YJ seems to be running fine and all other gauges seem normal. I would greatly appreciate any expert advice. Thanks.

4:1 in Dana 300? Is it worth the $$$?

The check engine light is there to tell the driver when part of the emissions system is not functioning properly. I'm not very familiar with the OBD II emission systems, but I doubt that any serious damage to the engine would occur from continued driving...possibly just damage to the air :roll: .

RE: There is a new gal in town!

It can come on for something as simple as not tightening (or leaving off) the gas cap. Mine has come on (TJ) when I developed a miss (bad plug - didn't really need the light to tell me that), but it mainly monitors emissions (O2 sensors and the like). They tell you in the manual that if it's flashing to stop IMMEDIATELY and get to a dealer, but I drove mine home from Ohio with it flashing all the way (bad plug story again). Didn't do any serious harm...............but it is there for a reason and probably shouldn't be ignored - just don't lose any sleep over it.

Back