This Is A two part question Tires/lights

Sobol

RE: I might be in the market for a TJ

i have a 1994 yj and i got a hook up on some nice 35's i only have a 2in lift on her right now, will the tires rub and will i have turning issues?
second is, is there a reset process for the Maintenance required light any one knows.

Pretty sure there is now way u are going to get 35's with a 2in lift on a yj. Most people run 33's with a 4in lift.

so a 4 in lift would be the way to go or bigger... i dont mind going for a bigger lift that would be fun

i have 33's on her right now and it works out fine.

Not really sure i have a tj. I just know on here most people will say that a 4 in lift is to small. But if u can aleady fit 33's with a 2 in then 4 might work. If money is not a problem then just go big.

Yeah i am not to worried about the price of the lift but when i go bigger i cant fit the Jeep in the garage...
well i appreciate the help, any reponse to the reset issue???

RE: Re: portland. or........can you hear me

Sobol said:
i have 33's on her right now and it works out fine.

With 2" of lift? Fine for what... driving straight on a flat road?

i think only the dealer or diagnostic shop can reset the light (found that out w/my old 91) or you can do what i did the 2nd time it came on - pull the bulb!

With 2" of lift? Fine for what... driving straight on a flat road?
----HAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

the 33's clear just fine with only the 2in lift on it. well i do live in Kansas so going flat and straight suits me fine....

I'm just trying to say that 2" of lift leaves no room for wheel travel with 33" tires on a YJ. You must have aftermarket wheels with less backspacing than stock wheels to avoid contact with the leaf springs upon turning.

I am speaking from experience. I had a YJ with 2" and 32's. It rubbed everywhere. I lifed to 3.5" then eventually added a 1/2" shackle lift and I also had to adjust my steering stops to use stock wheels.

It was kind of a smart-aleck remark - sorry for the sarcasm, but it was a realistic one. If you plan on doing any offroading you'll be tearing into your wheelwells... well maybe not in Kansas though... I have seen how flat it is out there from Sparky's pics ;)

35's will definately pose problems even on straight and flat. As for turning, what wheels are on the Jeep (with what backspacing)? Stock BS is 5.25", you'd need something with around 3.5-3.75" of backspacing to avoid leaf spring contact. When you do that, the tires will now be under the stock flares... bringing you back to height issues.

If you're getting away with 33" tires on a 2" lift, and you don't want to lift it higher then my advice is to leave well enough alone and stick with the 33's.

We didn't even get into gearing issues either :lol:

i dint think you were being sarcastic i thought it was funny, i really appreciate the help. i dont mind putting on a bigger lift at all. i just wanted to see what i could get away with before i started putting more money into the jeep. i have some aftermarket American racing rims (15's ) i am not sure how to tell the BS on it. but i haven't had any issues with rubbing while off-roading or normal driving.
Yeah that is my next question... gearing what is your opion on that for both the 33's and 35 with say a 4in lift

You can put 35's on there with a 2" lift, but the back spacing on your wheels will dictate rubbing during turning. also, one of two things, you willneed to do a SOA on your 2" springs or,

Some body work install those, remove the front fenders and radius a clearence into the hood. You can buy a hood already like that, But I forget the manufacturer. also, you will have to Bob the rear quarters (cut them off) and go to a fuel cell, as well as stretch the rear axle back by 3 inches by welding new off set perches onto the axle. It can be done, and we did it. but lots of engineering went into what we did.

What kind of lift is the one that you currently have? If it's suspension, just throw a 2" BL and some 1" lift shackles on it, then lower the bumpstops to keep the tires off the fenders. You'll still have enough useable compression and plenty of droop to allow some offroading. It won't be a flex monster, but it doesn't sound like it's too flexy now if it clears with 33s and a 2" lift.

i have a 2 body lift already

i think i should just invest in a lift anyway i dont think i want to do all that stuff listed
what do you all think about those flex shackles to help out

Back