How hard is it to replace water pump on 4.0L YJ?

Craig

I blew something on my jeep today about 4 hours from my house. The coolant is spraying out from what looks like just above the bottom rad hose so I'm guessing it's the water pump. I can't find my Haynes auto manual so I don't know whats involved in removing the water pump. I'd just like to know if I should bring my tools up and do it myself or if I should just get someone to do it for me. I guess my main question is do I need to pull off the fan belt pully and do I need a puller to do this? If this is the case, I think I'd be better off to just fork out the cash and get someone to do it rather than drive for 4 hours back there and have to mess with the thing for a couple of hours. If this happened at home I'd do it myself.[addsig]

i agree with what you said that you'd rather do it at home... but do you have AAA? any connection in the towing business?

i just looked up in my haynes, and it says you DO have to remove the fan and shroud. the waterpump is held on by a bunch of brackets and has some hoses attatched to it. it seems that it would be a tedious project, but there's not much to it (technically) so if you have some TIME, TOOLS, and PATIENCE, you should be able to do it yourself.[addsig]

Thanks, I can't be bothered to drive 4 hours to do it myself so I'm just gonna get someone to do it for me near where it happened.[addsig]

Get a mirror nad a flashlight and make sure it´s the water pump. The water pumps rarley spray, they usually seep and leak. Could be a crack near the hose clamp (common) that is spraying upwards.[addsig]

Back