Engine Troubles of some sort

SenorCole86

RE: Cool Front Bumper for a CJ

I recently put the HEI ignition on my CJ and ran into some problems. First off, it took me forever to get the thing to idle and when I finally did, it decided it wanted to idle at 1200-1700 (I don't have a tach, just guessing). It ran fine with the old ignition, I know it ran a little rich, but not anything huge, so I didn't really worry about it. For some reason though, now it is running REALLY rich and barely wants to run at all with the new HEI. Also, it diesels extremely bad now. After turning the key off, it will sit there and run for just a little bit, then make this big hissing noise (kinda like a sigh) and then die. I'm guessing a rich condition would cause all of these problems but I'm unsure as to why it wouldn't do this until I got the new ignition. Any help here would be appreciated, but also, how do I adjust the fuel/air mix? I know how to adjust the idle mix, but from there, I have no idea. I have a Motorcraft 2150 carb.

Hrm, just a thought, but is there anything wrong with regapping used sparkplugs? All of the writeups said to get new plugs, but I didn't because I had just bought new plugs a couple of weeks before. Thanks y'all!

RE: Cool Front Bumper for a CJ

My CJ7 ran like that when I first installed my hei and motorcraft carb. I'm not sure if the 1980 cj's needed to be timed at 1600rpm, but I know mine was supposed to be, and after doing away with the old ignition and all the smog stuff I ended up timing it at 700rpm. As for the motorcraft, the only way I know to adjust the fuel/air mix is by turning the two screws on the front of the carb by the base.

Cruise Control?

Before the HEI, every once in a while, when I would go over a bump, the engine would just die. I attributed this to ignition wires coming loose because it was a sudden drop off, it didn't sputter to a stop. Do y'all think a rebuild will fix this or do I need to change to smaller jets? Y'all who have working 2150's, what size jets do y'all run? Is there any other way to adjust the mixture, like float adjustment or something? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! I have a wheeling trip planned for this weekend, Thursday actually. I need to get this thing running! Thanks y'all!

I would start by adjusting the ignition timming. Mine runs best at about 8 degress. Set at 600 RPM with the vacuum advance plugged. Try lossening the dist and start it and carfully turn it till you can get it idle better then time it and try adjusting the mixture again.

RE: Thinking of Buying another 4x4

good luck finding jets for the 2150,mines off a 68 falcon and nobody makes aftermarket jets, i put a 1.0 power vavle in mine out off a holley 4 barl

ATTENTION redrooster

Alright, I figured out what was wrong, only hours before I was supposed to leave. I live on the coast, and I occasionally find myself fording salt water and it always ends up in my engine bay. Well, some salt had made it all the way up to my choke linkage and caused it to stay almost closed all the time, so it was running SUPER-rich. I squirted it with some B-12 and followed with some WD-40 and now it works fine, almost. I'm working on a dieseling problem now, trying a switch to some cooler plugs. Thanks for y'all's help!

Back