CJ vs YJ

jehartma

Make your case...I am looking to buy a used CJ or YJ, and I am having trouble deciding on which. I plan to use it mudding some, rock climbing infrequently, but mainly to get me to the trailhead/rock face/fishin' spot that requires special transporation. Here's the kicker...I also will be using it daily on my 40mi (each way) commute. I am not a super-mechanic, but I plan to get well aquainted with my engine and do any work myself. Thanks for your comments.

Oh boy sounds like you want to open a can of worms. I love my 95 YJ, I use it as my daily driver, weekend toy(trail running and mudding), and even light towing on occassion. I have found that it is rather easy to work on and to find parts for in my area.

I've got a CJ and a YJ (until I sell the YJ), and I think that a YJ has quite a few extra's that the CJ doesn't.

YJ's have galvanized tubs, mine is an 88 with no rust at all (the CJ looks like swiss chese). The YJ's have longer springs, which make for a nicer ride. In my case, the engines are the same.

The only reason I can come up with for me keeping the CJ, is that I like the way it looks. It's got the more traditional rounded features, including the cool dash board.

whichever you pick, you'll do OK. I guess it's the classic sytle vs. a better ride.

Terry

YJ will have fuel injection. (91 or later) Better gas mileage! The CJ has more history. But hey... take the fornt clip off of a CJ and put it on a YJ tub and frame. Use the YJ drive train and life is good. The front clip fits w/ no mods! The best of both worlds!

I think the YJ is your personal best bet (not everyone's, but certainly yours). Your not looking for the extreme, just a decent wheeler that will get you to and from work as well. I love my CJ, but it's that mother's love thing. It comes from way back, digging into those traditional roots type of thing. If you don't have that, then the YJ will suit your needs much better. JB form Peoria, AZ

go with a 91+ 6cyl YJ... Too many CJ owners think their rust buckets are worth too much money just because it is a CJ. Most CJ's need alot of work to be a reliable daily driver.

--
CJ8

Thanks for all the advise gents. I ended up going with a '83 CJ5. I bought it from a guy who used it for hunting and towing behind his RV. Only 120 miles, all original, and no rust (AZ Jeep). You had compelling arguments for YJ, but when it came right down to it, the CJ5 just looked badass and I had to have it. See ya on the trail!

Back