PCV Valve...Oil leak

Slappy80

Besides a rough idle and sluggish performance... has anyone ever had a faulty PVC system cause an oil leak, or at least make a leak worse on a 258? I've been trying to track down an oil leak for sometime, I knew my valve cover gasket was leaking and I suspected my rear seal was also leaking. Replaced the valve cover gasket, which didn't help the leak much, but then I noticed one of the rubber hoses connected to my PVC valve was pinched. After replacing the PVC hose the oil leak is almost gone! Does any of this sound possible???

1980 CJ7 258 Auto, 80K miles[addsig]

dude, i've been going through exactly the same thing.

When i first bought my jeep, the rear PCV intake tube wasnt even connected to the air filter... it was just flopping around everywhere spilling oil and smelling really BAD. Kinda like a gas lawnmower

After that, i started seeing other oil leaks spring up as i started breaking the engine back in. (it had been unused for quite some time)

The first thing i replaced was the valve cover with one of those kickass aluminium ones with the "jeep" logo on it. I HIGHLY recommend doing this if you still have a plasitc one!!

After replacing it, i found that the FRONT PCV was still leaking a bit where the actual metal part of the PCV connects. I attached a couple of layers of electrical tape and its tight as a drum now. (and no, the electrical tape DOESNT melt)

I still have some major oil leaks going on down below, but after stopping the leaks at the TOP of the engine, it makes it alot easier to localize the remaining leaks.

The last leak i have to hit (hopefully) is the rear main gasket. I've heard that on the 258 its a pretty easy fix.

Right now I'm tapped for repair money until the new year, so right now i'm just putting up with my jeep "marking its territory" all over the place.

Its not too bad, I only loose half a litre per month now, so its quite manageable.

Just think of it as "free undercoating"
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back