NOT STARTING (no power to coil) question HELP!!

hoobness

HHey all,

Im just about done rebuilding my jeep, Im stuck now.

More of a general engine starting question...

Problem:
turn to 1st click = idiot lights etc ... thats ok. not f ed up.
continue turning next click = ON position ... starter engages ! ! ??
Continue turning to last click = START ... Starter is still engaged.

Starter disengages when turned back to 1st click, which is not correct because the car is not on...

I have replaced the ignition switch, and the starter solinoid.. Same results.

My next course of aaction is to directly run my own wire from the START position to the S position on the solenoid, and rewire the coil, dist and module myself..

Id rather not go throught that!!

Any mechanics or any one!! think they know they ansewer to this???

Im going nuts, I want to drive my new toy!!

The on/run wire should be hot in either start or on position, but the start wire should only be hot in the start position. Sounds like your starter solenoid signal wire is wired in to the on/run position instead of the start position.

Thank you.
I ran a wire from the start position to the start on the sol and it worked. Put everything back, made better conns, to find out that now my coil is not getting any power.

I had a spare ignition module laying around, so I tried that to no avail. I dont know how to test that thing, but Im gambling that both are not bad. Im thinking there isa fault somewhere else?

Is there a way to bypass that thing...?

BTW
Its an 87 YJ 258. No computer, Weber Carb, Ford TFI, Nutter bypass, Accell supercoil brick -not canister...

tahnks

Do you have the coil "hot" wire and the tach wire reversed?
If you don't have a Chilton's manual then try to download the wiring diagram. I want to say the tach wire is purple on a CJ, not sure on the YJ. The main "hot" wire to the coil should have juice in the on and start positions.

RE: I gusse he thought he had a roll cage?

I have checked the (+) terminal on the coil in start and on, no power. i traced the wire to the ignition box down under the coolant resovoir. According to FSM diagrams, I should have power going into the box from the ignition switch, which receives its power from the battery during starting and when the engine is on. The wire going in to the box does have power during the above conditions, but the wire that comes out and heads to the coil is dead. Im guessing the box is dead. Its a $30 part, was hoping to upgrade to MSD one of these days, but since Im broke Ill have to settle for the box.

Does anyone know of how to test the box to make sure its the culprit in this no-spark fiasco ! ?

Back