Aging Jeep- For 2000 and up jeep owners

LadyJeepFreak

RE: Emmissions for a V8ed CJ

:shock: K so I know some of you own 2000+ jeeps like me. Mine is a 2003, bought in June of that year. So, I'm sitting on just two years of a paid lease now and in the next two weeks my warranty will be over. Not that I got much out of it but I worry about what will happen when it's over. In my past, that is when a vehicle really acts up...when your still making payments but have no warranty coverage.

Anyway, besides all that here is what is really bugging me. For two years I rode my jeep pretty hard and cared for it just as hard. I didn't give her alot of attention inside or out.

I'm wondering if it's too late to turn that around without significant costs associated with it.

My biggest issue is the soft top. My windows are SHOT. All the plastic is gray and hazy and not easily seen through. I have zippers that are busted and won't zip. At this time, I can't remove my rear window because of the busted zippers. I know replacements can't be that cheap either. What are my options? Do I have any, is the hazy plastic repairable?

Then, my cloth seats. They are so dirty its out of hand. I want to clean them somehow but I have no idea how. What is safe or what works? Anyone know?

Lastly, the floor. I swear I have 10 tons of dirt in the floor of the jeep. No matter how I sweep or vacuum it out it always comes back. I wish I could tip the jeep over and get it all out. lol Any ideas?

I think I have to schedule some serious jeep cleaning to get this thing back in shape. I'd appreciate any advice you have on my aging jeep.

Lady

RE: Well, the bastids finally did it....

It's only 2 years old Lady, I'm sure if you shampoo the seats, pull the floor plugs and hose it out, give it a good hand wash/wax it won't look bad at all.

As for the windows, the stuff on the market that is supposed to clean them turns them yellow (or so I have been told). If they need replacing they really won't break the bank but if it's just zippers you can try an alterations shop. I would keep the old ones unless they are torn but that's me.

Maintenance. Easy stuff to do on your own. If it seems intimidating get a Chilton's or Haynes manual and let it walk you through it. Change all the fluids (oil, transfer case, transmission, differentials), grease U joints, change the spark plugs/ distributer cap/ rotor, change the air filter. It can all be done for the price of fluids and filters with common hand tools and the willingness to get dirty and try. I have complete confidence you can handle this stuff, but we are always here if you have ???'s.

Like I said, it's only 2 years old. Lot's of Jeepin yet to do in it. Don't be overwhelmed, just start with the mechanical maintenance and do this stuff as you have the time/resources. Before you know it the TJ will be looking and running like you want it to be.

The trick is keeping it that way ;)

RE: Re: RE: Well, the bastids finally did it....

I'd stick with a Chilton's manual if I were you. From personal experience, Haynes sucks. Better used in the outhouse than the workshop. Poor illustrations, and even worse details. Seems they like to only give you directions that assume you're an A-1 certified mechanic. Many of the directions start with "Remove the XXX...." Problem is, when you look to see how to remove the "XXX", it starts with another "Remove the YYY..." or doesn't give you enough of a detailed description or illustration to tell you how. Just my experience, though.

A good roll-over on the trail should get rid of most of the dirt in the floor.

back up lights not turning on

Only thing I've had to do to my is get the seats cleaned. I took it to the local "Mr Pride" car wash and for about 30 bucks they shampood the seats front and rear and vacuumed. The seats really look like new.

Does the warranty not cover the windows and zippers?

Sparky-Watts said:
I'd stick with a Chilton's manual if I were you. From personal experience, Haynes sucks. Better used in the outhouse than the workshop.

A good roll-over on the trail should get rid of most of the dirt in the floor.
I bought a Haynes for my CJ and although it wasn't the worst money spent on my jeep (air freshener was the worst :? ) it was like sparky said they assume ypur an A-1 mechanic..... it's like looking at an instruction manual for the US space ship (Haynes) and then looking at a "Jeeps for Dummies" book (Chiltons)

And yeah, roll it to clean it up. It will get the lose dirt but you need to have a sudden stop to get the caked on stuff out :lol:

Not sure about the warranty covering zippers? Never thought to ask. I only have 300 miles before the warrenty is up and I can't afford to be without the jeep for the days it takes our service department to handle fixing something. BUT I'll call them tomorrow. My cig lighter element is dead for the second time and I was hoping to squeeze that in while the warranty is good. It just kills me to leave the jeep with them for as long as they say they need it. My schedule is so busy every day and I don't have a second vehicle or rental coverage.

Thanks for the tips on Mr. Pride and chilten. I wasn't sure how to shampoo seats or wash them but now I know! I will see if I can tip her over and get that dirt out too. lol Let ya know what the service people say tomorrow night after I find out what warranty covers.

Thanks!
Lady

RE: PLEASE HELP!

LJF,

When I bought my 97 TJ, the top was in pretty bad shape.

I used RaggTopp Fabric Protector to bring back the black color. I followed the first time use instrctions, and it worked great. The color stayed for a while and water beaded off when it rained. The first application procedure took the whole can, which is about $20, but well worth it.

For the windows, I used Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 18 Plastic Detailer. It's about $10. You'll get mixed opinions on these products. I've personally used it for 3 years on my roadster, 4 years religiously on my TJ, and still use it on my CJ. I've never had it "yellow" any of the windows and it cleans the grime off the plastic very well. I think the yellowing is attributed to misuse of the product. It's a polish, not a leave on chemical. Apply a lot of it, use a lot of elbow grease, and "buff" it until you can't feel the product on the windows anymore. Do not leave any residue; my guess is that's what causes the yellowing. If your windows are really bad, it'll probably take a couple passes, but that little bottle goes a long way.

If you try both, do the top first then use the plastic polish to clean up any oversray on the windows... there will be some. Also, don't get sucked into RaggTopp's "kits". The soft top cleaner is useless. Soap and water did just as good of a job.

-X

'93 Wrangler

LJF,

What Phattyx said on the windows.......'lot of elbow grease.....they won't look new but they'll look better. You and I both have '03's.....my windows don't look so good either (bad maintenance :oops: ) and my rear window has a little crack (too much up and down and up and down.....). Mine was out of warranty after about a year and a half so I don't worry about that shite anymore.....I know I'm on my own from here on out. You might think of investing in some neoprene seat covers - I bought some early on. My seats look pretty nasty......dirty, cigarette burns, etc......but it's just the covers - I'm trustin' the seats underneath are fine. And my floor carpets ( :roll: ) are pretty nasty, too, but I don't worry much about them........when they get trashed, they're outta there anyway! My little '03 TJ will be hitting 70K this week.......it's the mechanical things I worry about more. Oh, a side note, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR FLUIDS REGULARLY!!!!! Best thing you can do!!

Fellow '03'er,
mud

Colorado Trail suggestions

Hi-Ya, LJF,

While at the dealer/service department, you might ask about the details of buying an extended warranty.

Extended warrantys come in more flavors than HoJo's had flavors of ice cream, so one has to be careful about their purchase.

As regards a good spring cleaning, you might look into "detailing" shops. Detail shops are common here. Generally, they do a good job. There are even "detailers on wheels." They come to you (work or home) to spruce up your vehicle.

Both of the above suggestions involve "up front" money. But for those too busy or disinclined to maintain their own vehicles for any number of totally legitimate reasons, an extended warranty and/or a professional detailing might be viable options.

Regards,

Gadget

RE: Re: RE: bent driveshaft + highway driving = bye bye tran

well i cant help[ that much but ill put in my 2 cents.....here we go buy replacment windows....just bite the bullet and do it....but this time for the back one roll it up in a clean towel same with the sides...i carry 6 towels in my rig at all time for this purpose...now i know that this is my first jeep but its my dads 5th that he has been around....he gave me the idea and it takes a little longer to do but its definatly worth it...as for the other parts...the seats...try a ciclr auto recyling yard...and just rip out the carpet and rino line it

Pull the seats and carpets out one weekend and take them to be steam cleaned at the auto place. It will cost less if you pull them out yourself. They can usually do wonders for both. Then go back in with some seat covers to keep them protected. You may consider some Husky liner floor mats for the front floors. If the carpet is too far gone then go with the Rhino liner spray in rubber. It will run over $400 though.

Driveshaft Angle

Thanks GUYS! I have an appt with Chrysler Friday about something minor and asked them about the zippers. They said they'd look but couldn't promise. Of course.

I don't have carpet, just need to get all that dirt out somehow. I'm unplugged too. Maybe I can vacuum it good and sweep what doesn't go out down the plugs. I know I can hose it but when I do that it soaks the seats.

Never thought of pulling the seats to clean them or get them cleaned. I know the back comes out easy though, did do that before.

Neat window trick and will remember that too. May look for replacement windows if I really feel they won't make it. I just worry sometimes in the winter when they are all on and they are greyed out, it's real hard to see around sharp corners and I swear I'll hit someone or take something out someday that I'm not supposed to.

Also, I know it's not that old but I have been soooooooooo hard on it. Ya just don't know. lol

Anyway, the tips are great and I'm going to spend a weekend real soon working on it with all these ideas. Ty so much again!

Lady

RE: axle piece

Hose the floor without a spray nozzle.....just turn it on and let it flow. Take a brush to what you can reach while keeping the hose close to the surface of what you're working on. I don't have a 2000 or up but I'm pretty sure this will work on any Jeep. :wink:

Took the jeep to the stealership Friday. They are going to fix my lighter (again) and my broken zipper on the rear window. I didn't know they covered Zippers! They are replacing the lighter element and housing both, due to rust. I am gonna work on cleaning this thing up too though. Thanks for the tips!

Lady

Back