Leaky Differentials

SkrogPappa

Steering like a go cart

I changed the fluid in both my differentials a while back and they leaked. So I did it again and used a stronger sealent, but they are still leaking. I cleaned up the cover as best a could both times.

Does anybody make gaskets for this application? If not, what is the best product to seal them up? What am I doing wrong?

RE: yj hardtop

I only used RTV silicone on mine. no gasket. I put some on the dif cover only and let it "skinned" before installing it back. Make sure that both cover and dif. edges are clean.

RE: brake bleeding problem

i got gaskets when i did mine last week, had to get 'em from napa, cost about 5 bucks each... have to know exactly what axle you have...

What to coat frame with: undercoating vs. bed liner

Whenever you replace a used thinner steel cover like that or oil pan, timing chain cover. stock valve covers (etc.), it is a good idea to invert them on a soft piece of wood and with the small end of a ball-peen hammer or small socket dimple the bolt holes from the inside out slightly. This gives the area between the holes more "crush" distance so the gasket or silicone will seal more readily. Usually these bolts have previously gotten over-tightened and if you just re-bolt the cover back on, that bolt hole area becomes tight and leaves the area between the holes with more gap than necessary, sometimes resulting in a slight leak. Bottom line ....silicone works great if one takes the time and patience to let it skin over prior to torquing in place, as mentioned above. LBR

RE: shackle problem

RTV is the only way to go

Pics?

I have used this stuff called "right stuff" to seal up my rear differential, transfer case, and transmission pan. Its great. It comes in a can like that squirt cheese and doesn't require any time to set. It is thick so it should fill in any imperfections. With a clean surface it will not leak.

if youre gonna use cork gaskets - use "gaski-cinch" - had the same prob. with the rocker covers on my old Harley - also - make sure the diff covers aren't warped or bent....

RTV is your friend. :D

Make sure your surfaces are clean. If needed just grab a rag and spray a little bit of brake cleaner on it and give it a good scrub. Wait until the brake cleaner dries and then apply 1/8-inch of RTV and smear it around and DO NOT wait for it to setup and throw on your cover and bolt it down. I normally start from the bottom up so the bottom is tight while the RTV sets up.

I agree with kizer on not waiting for it to set up. If you let it set, it will not adhere properly to both surfaces

RTV has to set up a little before the two pieces are put together. It was designed to work this way.

Like mentioned before, it has to skin over first to be effective.

LBR said it perfectly!!

RE: Re: New guy

check the vent tubes to the front and back any time you have a leak from your diff. if the vent is pluged whin it worms up it will create presure and push the gasket or seals out of it. just my 2 cents

pics from tellico

i used to use only rtv, but my rear dif cover was always peeled up from being drug over rocks after every ride. i decided to try a paper gasket and rtv before i went to tellico and tellico and i fit very well. my rear axle saw gobs of abuse and the lip of the cover was inverted afterward. it still hasnt leaked and its been sitting for two weeks now (i went to college)

Back