1978 CJ5 drivetrain

TwistedCU

So I've been talking to a guy at work about this CJ5 he has and is going to be selling. I did a little research about that year and found the available trannies and transfer cases it has. The only thing I know is it has the 304 V8 and it's a manual transmission. He also said it does not have manual hubs.

My questions:

1. Does it having the 304 mean it has the T18 4 speed, or could it still have the T150 3 speed?

Does it not having manual hubs mean it has the Quadratrac transfer case? Did all CJ's from '76-'79 have Quadratrac or could it have a different xfer case (Dana 20, Dana 300)?

3. Not knowing much about Quadratrac, can anybody tell me some stuff about it? Is is like a full time 4WD or AWD? If it is part time how does the front D30 axle disengage? Is there a reason to stay away from it if intending to modify the Jeep for and use primarily for trails?

I should know more on Monday, and may take a look at it soon if it does in fact have the T18 mated up to the 304. I'm thinking it may be a fun project to build on. Downsides are abviously the AMC 20 rear axle's 2-piece shafts and it has a fiberglass tub which has it's pro's and cons.

Like I said, I haven't even seen it yet but I'd like to know more about it before getting too interested.

Anybody's comments or suggestions about anything related to it will be appreciated. I'm not very knowledgeable of the CJ line... yet :twisted:

Paint options

It won't be quadratrac. They never put automatics in the CJ5s, and Qtrac only came behind autos. The transmission could be a T-18, but is most likely a T-150.

The front not having hubs is strange. I wasn't aware that solid drive flanges were offered after they went to standard front discs. The drum brake D30 that came factory in my 77 has flanges. Converting to hubs is easy. It may also be an earlier axle or a swapped in Qtrac axle. You don't disconnect it. The whole deal spins all the time.

RE: Some gen chat friction

Well looking into it a little more, a book I have shows manual hubs as an option, and quadratrac was only available on the CJ7's so I guess that explains that. I would swap in manuals if I bought it.

I guess I'll have to wait to find out if it is a 3 or 4 speed to find out what transmission is in there. The T18 would be sweet with that granny gear, but if it came without the manual hubs, I'm guessing they didn't opt for the better transmission but you never know. It could be a deciding factor in buying it.

The same book shows the '78 models being the first with front disc brakes as standard, that would be nice if it is correct.

I believe that the T-18 4 speed was only offered behind the I-6 engine back then - It most probably has the T-150 3 speed unless someone has swapped in the T-18 - Dana 20 transfer case - front disc brakes were first offered on the 1977 CJ-5 me believes. LBR

You're correct LBR. I forgot about that. The T-18 wasn't available behind the 304 until 79, the last year they came in CJs.

Discs were an option in 77, and standard on 78, from what I can come up with. I've read several different times that they actually made the switch from mid 77 to early 78 and I've even seen thay it wasn't standard until 79. I've never seen a 78 with drums, but I know of 77s with discs and my 77 had drums......so I'll assume that 77 was optional. I don't really know for sure though.

Well you are right... it has a 3 speed, so it is a T-150. So at least I know what's in it except for gearing, which from what I've read it likely has 3.54 gears but who knows...

Well I was really hoping for a T-18, but with what we know about it...

78 CJ5
304 V8 (runs strong and smooth so I am told)
I still don't know what carb (stock or not)
T-150 Transmission
Dana 20 transfer case
Dana 30 Fr & AMC 20 rear axles
Fiberglass tub
No rust on frame (so I am told)
New Supertop & soft doors
Stock suspension, steering "overhauled" a year ago. I'm assuming/hoping this means new bushings, rod ends, etc.

Any idea on a ballpark value?????

RE: moving to NC

The Mrs bought a brand spanking new 1977 CJ-5 for her graduation present back then - we still have it in the shop and are using parts off of it (sat for 14 years and sheet metal disintegrated!)for our recently aquired 1979 CJ-5... she got every option available at the time except a/c, with a Warn 8K winch dealer installed also. A whooping $6700.00 plus interest it cost her!!!!! What an outrageous price, eh?? She thinks that the discs on the front were standard, but a little crs has set in and not absolutely sure :lol: sooooooooooo TC, around my neck of the woods many are sticker shocked at newer Jeeps for a secondary ride, but the older CJs are still up there in $$$. If it is everything that it sounds like, it might be worth a solid 3800-4400 LBR

1 piece axles

All the way from $2500 to $6500 would be the ballpark around here. It just depends on how "clean" it is. I would guess from the description that it would be somewhere around a $3500-$4000 rig here.

Don't be too bummed about it having a T-150. It's not the best transmission in the world, but it's not the worst either. Some people like it, depending on terrain and driving style.

LBR, my 77 was the opposite from your wife's. Mine was a stripped down base model with 4 wheel power drums.

Nothing wrong at all with the 4 corner drum brakes until some yay-hoo pulls rank on ya and says his has discs on the front (know what I mean, Vern?) :lol: :lol:

Well I'll take a look at it when I get a chance. It's not going anywhere as of yet. I told him to let me know before he puts it in a paper or anything. I've been looking around kind of half heartedly for a good deal, but for some reason that CJ5 keeps my interest. Looking at it will either remedy that or just make it worse.

Thanks for the info guys.

Back