tire advice for newbie

30yrheel

Hey guys, recently purchased a stock 92 YJ, 307 gears, with 235/75/15's and stock rims.
From what i've read i can easily put 30 x 9.5's on. Thinking of getting new black rims 15 x 8 with 4" backspace also, do you think that's o.k.?

It's mostly for a little better look, I won't be doing any hardcore wheeling.
You think I can sell or trade in the 235's w/rims? I've never tried that before, they've only got about 1000 miles on them.

RE: Re: RE: Re: I got hit..... and he ran!

You should be able to run the 30 x 9.5's with no problems. We run 31's on the wife's '94 YJ and just have minor rubbing at full lock on the steering (we don't wheel it much, so I'm not sure about rubbing on the flares). With a little different backspacing (she has the stock rims) and adjusting the bump stops, I'm sure we could eliminate what little rubbing there is. You shouldn't have any trouble selling or trading your old set. I know they'll fit a Ford Ranger (among others), so there's lots of folks (non-Jeepers) who are in the market for those wheels and tires. I sold my factory set to my neighbor (Ford Ranger) who had stock 14" rims. We just swapped out the center caps - really did a lot for his ranger and paid for my Canyon rims.

Which wheels came on it? Are they steel or aluminum. If they are the 15x6 steel wheels they will not bring any $$$. The 15x7 steelies will sell but not for much. The 15x7 or 15x8 aluminum wheels will definately make you more $$$.

If you do not plan on lifting it then I would go for 4.5-4.75" backspacing. 4.0" would move your wheels 1.25" out from the stock location on each side. You may have some rubbing on the flares with that. 4.5-4.75 shouls keep it under the wheelwells. For reference, stock backspacing is 5.25".

With proper backspacing the 30's should fit, but keep in mind springs sag and you may still experience some rubbing offroad. One other thing is if you plan on using 30x9.50x15 tires you should go with a 15x7 wheel not a 15x8.

TwistedCopper said:
Which wheels came on it? Are they steel or aluminum. If they are the 15x6 steel wheels they will not bring any $$$. The 15x7 steelies will sell but not for much. The 15x7 or 15x8 aluminum wheels will definately make you more $$$.

If you do not plan on lifting it then I would go for 4.5-4.75" backspacing. 4.0" would move your wheels 1.25" out from the stock location on each side. You may have some rubbing on the flares with that. 4.5-4.75 shouls keep it under the wheelwells. For reference, stock backspacing is 5.25".

With proper backspacing the 30's should fit, but keep in mind springs sag and you may still experience some rubbing offroad. One other thing is if you plan on using 30x9.50x15 tires you should go with a 15x7 wheel not a 15x8.

They're the old 15 x 7 steelies with new, but cheap (Winston brand?) tires. So i should stay with 15 x 7, don't know if I've seen any for sale by Crager, American racing, maybe i haven't looked enough. I'll probably add a 1" BL also. Thanks for the advice.

Re: I got hit..... and he ran!

I would get the better offset wheels rather than adjust the stops if you have the money to do it. Don't get me wrong, I have run 32's on stock wheels with adjusted stops but it's nice to have your full turning radius.

Cragar soft 8's (model 397) are pretty darn cheap at quadratec.

Back