AHH HELP Just discovered that body mount is basically rusted

CTJeeper

My 91 Wrangler is... lets just say a rust bucket. I already had a piece of sheetmetal welded on to part of my frame to cover a speading hole... and i have been starting to POR-15 the underbody, but today i found something pretty ugly. The rear body mount on the driver side of the jeep is rusted through, so basically i can turn the screw without even loosening it. (part of the metal mount just turns) Has anybody experienced this? or have any ideas? I havent decided what to do yet... but tomorrow im gonna look at it better to see if i can weld or bolt a bent piece of sheetmetal over it. What a bummer.[addsig]

Strip off the mods and TRADE for another Jeep! Tug[addsig]

hahaha yea that is what i dont really feel like doing... but it is an option. the jeeps only got 62k original miles so i dont really wanna part with it. Maybe ill look for a jeep with a million miles but with a better body... not too hard to find up here in CT where nobody goes wheelin but drives everywhere. Still thinkin.[addsig]

Where there's one there's more. Sounds like you need to remove the body and repair

what's mucked up. I bet this is your daily driver too isn't it? Band-aid fixes will catch up to you. The part, thats rusted, is it the frame or body? If you've already band-aided a cracked frame, it may be time for a new frame, or find a junker to use while you remove the body and repair as necessary.

[addsig]

Yep, daily driver... and im 18 and still in high school and just starting a winter sport so time and money are valuable. the rusted part is on the body... the mount is almost directly under the gas hose, and basically the bottom of the mount that runs horizontal to the ground was rusted around the edges, so thats how i can turn the bolt and part of the body at the same time
image-missing.png
thanx for the input... more would be much appreciated

[addsig]

cut out a section and weld in a new section try to use a little heavier gauge metal than sheet metal though. but you probably already knew that. [addsig]

yea that looks like my best option as of now.. yea im using like 1/8th-3/16ths of an inch steel. ill probably do it next week.. then depending on how that holds and whether theres any more bad rust news ill either sell it or keep it for a while longer. Hopefully the second one
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back