HAS ANYONE NOTICED RUBICON REAR BRAKES DO NOT WORK WELL

joejeepny

It seems the rear brakes on the rubicon work like crap. In the rain the fronts lock right up and your skidding and the rear feals like its doin nothin. Anyone else notice this.

TwistedCopper said:
TJ's in general or just the Rubis???

Never noticed that on my TJ........with good meats she stops great - wet or dry. 'Course I always try to drive to avoid those "panic stops" or too much braking in general.....I'm shootin' for 100K outta these brakes! :shock:

Re: RE: HAS ANYONE NOTICED RUBICON REAR BRAKES DO NOT WORK W

It feels like the whole front end is dragging when you drive on the street. Since the gas price thing I was thinking about the rubicons poor gas milage and the dragging feeling and something came to mind. There is no lockout of the front axle on a tj. It turns the front diff and drive shaft when in 2-wheel drive.
Thats kind of backwards isnt it. And the rubi has a limited slip when its not locked right. So inst that alot of drag on the front end. I think thats what helps the wheels lockup.

joejeepny said:
It feels like the whole front end is dragging when you drive on the street. Since the gas price thing I was thinking about the rubicons poor gas milage and the dragging feeling and something came to mind. There is no lockout of the front axle on a tj. It turns the front diff and drive shaft when in 2-wheel drive.
Thats kind of backwards isnt it. And the rubi has a limited slip when its not locked right. So inst that alot of drag on the front end. I think thats what helps the wheels lockup.

Sounds like a manual hub conversion would be a good mod for that rig. It should help the gas mileage too. Does it have antilock brakes? That may make manual hubs a no-go.

The front diff on a Rubi is an open diff when unlocked, the rear is a limited slip when unlocked.

There is very little parasitic drag with the front end with the open diff, using an approved synthetic gear lube in each diff would help minimize it.

Are Rubi rear brakes disc?

Yeah the rear is disk. Do they make hubs for these axles? I dont think they do.

RE: Heater Core Leaking

They make full-floater hub kits for the rear axles, as well as hub kits for the front.

RE: 91 jeep wrangler steering column broke

Don't the front shafts turn in all YJ's and TJ's? I mean you have a disconnect on the axle but it only unlocks one shaft. The other turns with the wheel and consequently spins the gears and shaft even though the t-case is unlocked.
That's all beside the point really. If the brakes suck on your Rubi then take it back under warranty. If that doesn't work then remove the original proportioning valve and install an adjustable one from Wilwood. Then you can control the brake bias in the rear.

Theirs alot less friction in the yj since the axle doesnt have to differentiate every time you turn the wheel.
You can turn the front drive shaft when its unlocked. Cant turn the rubi's. Where do you adjust the brakes from, At the valve? Did you spell that right wilwood?

I checked wilwood. They say you can use them to reduce front break pressure but they do not reccomend it. What do you think about using a steel braided line in the rear and leaving the rubber ones up front.

Back