NEW TO THE JEEP COMMUNITY

88WRANGRED

I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST WRANGLER AND I WANT TO LIFT IT SO THAT I CAN PUT LARGER TIRES ON IT. IT HAS STOCK TIRES ON IT AND I WOULD LIKE TO PUT 31" OR 32" ON. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT THIS WITHOUT BREAKING MY BACK AND MY WALLET?

I DON'T PLAN ON DOING HEAVY OFF ROADING BUT AN OCCAISIONAL RIDE THROUGH THE WOODS. CAN YOU GUYS GIVE ME SOME ADVICE

THANKS [addsig]

Welcome! Am I correct in guessing that your new Jeep is an '88? If so, just throw some 31's on as is. There might be some rubbing on the flares...maybe...but a cheap shackle lift will take care of that. After you've enjoyed a few more bites from the offroad bug...start saving...you'll want more...I'm sure we all do...at least I do...
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Thanks NATTY, i'll look into the shackles.

how much of a shackle lift do i need for 32" tires, and what about rim sizing?

[addsig]

Welcome man... <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> I DON'T PLAN ON DOING HEAVY OFF ROADING </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> I don't think you'll be saying that for long though.
image-missing.png
Good Luck with the tires and Lift. I am in the same process right now, and im doing a Superlift 4" lift kit fromNational Tire and Wheel and im choosing tires right now. Tell me what you get and how it works out. [addsig]

I think you can get a 2" shackle lift for about $40 out of JCWhitney or 4wd Hardware. That should take care of 32's, and would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a suspension lift and dealing with new driveshafts and other fun stuff like that (I have recently found out that there's much more to do to your Jeep other than the lift in order to do it right). I'm not a huge fan of body lifts...but they are cheap and if you go with a 1", you'll hardly notice the difference and give yourself a bit more clearance. But start saving...CTJeeper is dead on balls...you won't be saying that for much longer. Good luck.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

SOMEONE GAVE ME A 3" BL, BUT I DON'T WANT MY JEEP TO LOOK FUNNY AND I HEAR THAT THERE IS A LOT INVOLVED WITH WELDING AND LOWERING PARTS.

NEED SOME INPUT IF I SHOULD KEEP IT OR GET RID OF THE BL AND GO FOR SOME SHACKLES INSTEAD........

SOUNDS LIKE SHACKLES ARE THE WAY TO GO FROM WHAT I'VE BEEN HEARING.

ANOTHER QUESTION THAT I HAVE IS A NOISE COMING FROM UNDERNEATH. I THAPPENS WHEN I TURN LEFT, AND SOUNDS LIKE THERE IS SOMETHING RUBBING BUT I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS HEARD THE NOISE. I HAD SOME BUDDIES DRIVE IT AND THEY THINK I'M NUTS.

THE RUBBING IS COMING FROM UNDER THE FLOOR BETWEEN THE PASSENGER SEAT AND THE BACK SEAT. YOU GUY HAVE ANY CLUE AS TO WHAT CAN BE MAKING THIS SOUND?

FIRST IT SOUNDED LIKE METAL/METAL, BUT OCCASIONALLY IT SEEMS TO BE MORE OF A RUBBERY SOUND.

ANY HINTS

[addsig]

Back