Everyday driver and moderate off road

NewSport

RE: Complete 304 or 360 AMC engine

Hello guys and gals,

I am a rookie. I have bought a 97 Wrangler Sport 6cyl auto.

I am trying to figure out how to lift the jeep a bit to allow for better clearance but still stay stable.

I am also looking for the best tire suspension configuration for winter driving...

I am sure you people get sick of us newbies...but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

NewSport said:
I am sure you people get sick of us newbies...but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quite the contrary, NewSport!! We're always glad to have new members, and no question gets asked or answered too many times. Quite often, in answering a question that has been asked several times, someone will throw in a tidbit of info that wasn't previously noted, making it a learning experience for everyone. Welcome to the "Z", the best Jeep message board you're bound to find. We're a good, friendly, helpful family here, and we're glad to have you aboard!

As for your questions, I'm not the one to answer them the best, but there are many, many experts here that can. Tires? Sure, I can give you my opinion on those, but it also depends on how and where you plan to drive and play. I run Mud King mudders, 31x10.50 on 15x7 Cragar "Soft Eights". For my style of driving and the area I live in, they are pretty much the best for me. Many people prefer mud tires over all-terrains if they do any off-roading at all. I've never liked AT's at all, just don't give me the traction I need, both on pavement and off road. The mud tires handle better on dry, wet, icy, snowy, sandy roads for my driving style. The Mud Kings are surprisingly quiet, although I think they're wearing faster than the Kumho's I used to run on my old Toy PU. The few times I've actually had to crawl over stuff (mostly logs and people on bicycles), the MT's were much better than AT's, even when not aired down.

That's my opinion on tires...others may vary. I run a YJ, so I can't help you much as far as what kind of lift or anything like that, but I feel comfortable in saying you can go as little as 2" for a little extra clearance and still be very stable, and with the right lift and suspension, you could go up to 3+" and still be stable.

Anyone else with a TJ want to chime in?

Again, welcome to the "Z". Sit back, rest a spell, and get to know us....I guarantee you'll like us!! :wink:

a lot of people are happy with 3 inches of lift and 33's. with a tj, a one inch body lift and 2 inch coil spacer lift can be the most cost effective method to clear 33's. my dad has a rubicon with this same set up and we ran blacks and upper blues at paragon (moderatley hard trails) with no problem. if you ever decide to go bigger you'd be best to go to a full on suspension lift, like a 4" lift from rubicon express or even a 6" lift from rubicon express or similar brands. you should be real happy with the three inches of lift from the spacer lift, one inch body lift, and 33's.

as far as tires, bfg mud terrains are a proven tire in the offroad world and wear great. they last a long time, are great offroad and have a good rep. ive been running my dunlop mud rovers for a while and like them a lot. some people get lots of miles from them and others none at all. dont get the mt/rs if your going to be runnign in mud a lot. mt/rs are great on the rocks but when it comes to mud nothing compares to a swamper. the swampers arent very street friendly so you probably want to stay away from them for a daily driver. iv'e also heard good things about the mickey thompson radials.

but if i were to recommend a tire, it'd be the bfg mud terrain.

CPS again...

Thanks for the info folks, I'm glad to hear that newbies are welcome.

I was really wondering though about winter tires...I live in Wisconsin and will be driving the jeep daily for about 4 long month of winter.

I had guessed that a tall skinny radial would be best for winter.
I had a CJ 7 once that did not make it through the first snowfall with AT 32's without hydroplaning and rolling over, unfortunately it didn't fair well and had to be parted out.

anymore info would be appreciated :)

Gone for a week

Welcome to Jeepz!

2" budget boost here:

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=63

Interco Trxus MT, in a 235x85x16 or 255x75x16 (you'll need to get a set of 16x7 wheels):

http://www.intercotire.com/site35.php

image-missing.png

They are siped and have a bit tighter lug pattern than most MT tires, which should help in the winter slop and rain.

RE: Check this out (ORCC)

My buddy just put a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift and 33x12.5x15 BFG Mud terrains on his TJ Wrangler, and it's made a world of difference offroad. Onroad, it does have more body roll, but is plenty stable. I think the key to it's handling is that the sway bar is still connected and the Jeep has good shocks accompanying a good suspension system. 3"-4" of lift is absolutely fine for a dail driver and terrific offroad. I don't have any experience with the Trxus MT, but have heard that they wear out fast. Another good mud tire that does well on the road is the ProComp MT, as it is quieter than most other mud tires, wears well, and has siping to help with driving in wet and icy conditions. My favorite mud tire is the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain, mostly for its shoulder lugs and 3-ply sidewall. It costs about as much as the procomp, and with some siping should do just fine in the winter months. Swampers are good tires for offroading, but are not meant for street driving. If you do limit yourself to moderate offroading, you might even want to consider something like the BFG All Terrain K/O. It's terrific for street driving in the snow and does well offroad (except when mud is involved). If you travel down unplowed streets though, a siped mud tire would be a good bet. Whatever you do, make sure that both the front and rear axles are open for street driving (this means no limited slip, no posi, no spools, no lunch box lockers, no automatic lockers, etc. Selectable lockers like the ARB and OX are OK.).

RE: overfilling automatic transmission

I just put on a set of BFG All Terrain K/O. Nice ride,real quite. Rated buy the us govt extreem snow traction. MT/r's suck.

All-new version of America's best all-terrain tire. ShoulderLock™ Technology. Even more go-anywhere traction, durability. Exceptional treadlife. Same great looks. Meets RMA definition for passenger and light truck for use in severe snow conditions. TriGard® construction for serious durability.

Latest generation of America's best all-terrain tire
TriGard® construction
Excellent traction and handling on- and off-road

All-Terrain T/A® KO 7 9 7 8 10 9

Back