clicking/popping front end

indiemo

Loking For a air compresor

hey all. every time i turn the wheel to the left on my TJ (high speed, low speed, no speed) there's a loud pop or click that comes from somewhere in the front end. I've checked the sway bar and tie rods visually and everything seems tight. Any thoughts on what me going on or what I can try to chase down?

RE: overfilling automatic transmission

does it click once, more than once?
when you start turning the wheel, mid-way, at the end? More details would help diagnose your click.
Does it sound like its coming from the axle, steering?
Put your head under there while someone turns the wheels and see if you can narrow down the point where it is clicking.
any difference with engine off (might be power steering)?
try jacking the front end off the ground (frame, not axle) and see if it is different with no load.

Something might be rubbing, could be a u-joint.. maybe something else.

RE: Exhaust Dump Valve

graewulf said:
Put your head under there while someone turns the wheels and see if you can narrow down the point where it is clicking.

But by all means, DO NOT attempt this while the vehicle is in motion! :shock:

That noise is usually the front track bar. Tighten the lower mount as much as humanly possible and see if it goes away.

If it persists, watch both ends of the trackbar closely as a helper (hopefully a friend) bounces the steering wheel back and forth off of full-lock. This will show any movement in the ends.

Yeah, I tried to see where it was coming from while my girlfriend turned the wheel but really couldn't tell. I watched both ends of the track bar because I had thought the same thing, but there didn't seem to be any movement from either side. I tried to tighten down the bolt on the axle end, but couldn't do much more without stripping out the torx bolt. I wonder if I should try tightening it with the front end off the ground? FYI, it just pops once, as soon as I start to turn left and only when I turn left.

i had the same problem. i had my buddy jump up and down on the front bumper while i listened outside for it. ends up that it was the sway bar end links. i couldnt move them by hand, but when the weight of the jeep moved them. they moved...alot. hope this helps

RE: door hinge

Well, I took a look and it turns out that it is the swaybar. At some point the thing has become off center and once side of it is catching on the frame. I tried to beat on it with a hammer to knock it over closer to center but it won't budge. Any recommendations on fixing this aside from getting a new sway bar?

Optional extras/pressies for my jeep

I would take the links off and loosen the mounts onthe frams.. then you should be able to move it. YOu may find that something is bent on the end links, which is why it is off-center.

RE: WIN A JEEP!

TwistedCopper said:
Check the trackbar joint/bushing at the frame end.

For sure! This started happening on mine once I put my lift on. Tighten the snot out of it every couple of thousand miles (every oil change). Also, I was in a front end accident....check and make sure your castle nuts on the lower steering knuckle are tight.

Back