installing engine-any good manuals?

Sacredgroove

Hemi Jeep or Restore My 87 Wrangler?

I am replacing my engine very soon and was wondering if anyone has a good write-up online or a detailed manual I can find on the process. Ive never switched out a motor but looking forward to the challenge... :)

I had never done one myself until last year. I didn't use any manuals other than a Haynes to get the right torques for the bolts. Otherwise, I would just remove a bolt and put it in a bag with a note explaining where it came from. I tagged all wires and hoses with a piece of tape and a note as to where it went. Then I just reversed everything when setting the new motor in place. I already had an engine hoist with a leveler which was much better than the tree limbs and come-along I've seen others use. I also pulled the radiator first. It didn't have to be done, but I pulled the intake/Exhaust manifolds before unbolting the motor just to make more knuckle-busting room. The only real issue I had was when I dropped the distributor in 180 out of place. Backfires like crazy when cranking.

Definitely label all wires and bag your bolts or put them back in the hole they came out of.
It also makes like easier to not only remove the radiator, but take a few minutes to remove the fenders and entire grill as well. You can undo the entire headlight harness from the firewall (by the brake booster)to make fender removal easier. There is one bolt that holds the two plugs in the firewall. Remove that bolt then take the plug out and separate the two pieces. Then your harness will go with the grill and save you from removing the headlights and parking light.
What engine and transmission are you running?
I have a complete fuel injected 360 for sale if you are interested.

Thanks for all the responses.

just replacing the 4.2 with a new one from ATK and adding howell TBI. I drive it daily and it pours oil out to the tune of 2 plus quarts a day and of course it idles like crap with the carter still in place. while the motor is out I am going to also clean up/repaint the engine compartment and seal the frame with por-15 where I can get to it. mentioning the fender removal...might be a good time to go ahead and replace the fender that I wrinkled hitting a deer last fall lol. a friend of mine is going to help out and he has done the swap before on his 83 cj7 and I also have my father(and his tools) who has restored more muscle cars than I can remember. have a hoist/stand and everything else I need. it is funny you mention the tree limb method, my dad was just talking to me yesterday about how he pulled a few bodies off in his younger days using trees and ropes. I went underneath the jeep today to assess the amount of pressure washing I need to do to get rid of the thick oil coating all over everything....case of engine degreaser at least along with the pressure washer might do it lol. at least it has been protected from rust all this time! lol
is there any other "while im there" stuff I should look into doing? mounts/oil pan will be new also the vacuum lines/hoses/belts all new....

If it has the plastic valve cover, replace it with an aluminum one before setting the motor. The back screw is a bear to get to. Also, I lowered the motor a little below the motor mounts to get the top 2 transmission bolts in. No knuckles busted there. Then I raised it back up and inserted the mount bolts.

Regearing

The top transmission bolts are easy if you use several long extensions and a universal joint on an air ratchet. You can lay back there by the transfer case and reach all the way up and zip them out. Just a tip to try.

good tips,thanks everyone! I am going to replace the whole clutch with a centerforce. I changed clutch out 30k ago but it has had oil dripping all over it for a year so might as well since im there.

Back