Shock Absorber preferences

JollyGreen

I guess it's kind of a moot point now since I already bought a set of Pro Comp ES9000 gas shocks but does anyone have a preference in shock absorbers? I am looking for a middle-of-the-road shock, not an entry- level hydraulic shock or a desert racing shock made out of some metal found only in meteors. I have a 1977 CJ7 with BDS 4" Glide-Ride leaf springs and late model CJ front shock towers.

A very good question and one that some others of us would be interested in. My TJ's got 71,000+ on it and I'm thinkin' that shocks will soon be in order ('tho she still rides nice). Would value much the Jeepz input!

Rancho ='s good
Pro comp='s bad

RS5000's on one jeep, pro comp es????? on the other (they were about $40/apiece new)

Pro comps ride like crap
Rancho's ride good

Re: RE: Cool toy for your kids, or yourself!!

I ran the BDS shocks with my BDS 3.5 YJ kit and was quite happy with them.

JollyGreen... You in PA???

Dana 60 axle code identification

Hi guys. I already installed the Pro Comp shocks and they fit the range of movement that I need perfectly. I knew that no matter what shock I got, it wasn't the one to go with. I was looking for a popular concensus and I appreciate all the input. The '77 CJ7 did not come with a sway bar and for what it's worth, the Pro Comps don't compress as fast and it does make a difference on the road. No Twisted, I am not from PA, I am from St. Augustine, Florida- I guess I need to do my profile... Thanks again for the input.

Jolly Green

RE: new front axle

I've ran ProComp ES3000's, they rode very harsh.

I've since ran Doetsch-Tech 3000's (DT3000) and they ride the best from what I've found. They're distributed by Rubicon Express and www.jeepinoutfitters.com (free shipping) and run around $30 each.

Stay with a hydraulic shock for a decent ride, I wouldn't even get the gas-charged RS5000's.

RE: My jeep from space

Bounty__Hunter said:
I've ran ProComp ES3000's, they rode very harsh.

I've since ran Doetsch-Tech 3000's (DT3000) and they ride the best from what I've found. They're distributed by Rubicon Express and www.jeepinoutfitters.com (free shipping) and run around $30 each.

Stay with a hydraulic shock for a decent ride, I wouldn't even get the gas-charged RS5000's.

Yep, ES3000's are what I bought new and have on one jeep. I hate them. I have RS5000's on the other jeep and I like the ride. Don't have any idea how old they are; they were on the jeep when I got it.

don't don't don't get the pro comp E3000, unless you like going down the road vibrating like a monkey on amphetamines :shock:

RE: Interiors thru the years.

Well, for better or worse, I'm going to stay with the ES9000s' right now. I'll be up in Tellico, NC, the week before Thanksgiving so that will be the acid test ( for both the lift and the shocks). As for the ride being like "a monkey on amphetamines", part of me is used to it but I have noticed an increased vibration since the lift went in. I believe the rear driveshaft needs a closer look. For all of it's quirks, my CJ has stood beside me for 17 years now and has NEVER let me down or left me stranded (which is more than I can say for most people)- I can live with a little roughness.

I have run RS5000's and RS9000's for the better part of my trail riding career. I like both but prefer the adjustability of the RS9000's. I had some ProComp's on my old XJ and they were fine as I recall. I once won a set of Superlift shocks at a raffle and had them send me a set for my old 97 Suburban. I rode them for a week and then pulled them off and put on some RS5000's. They were junk.
Has anybody tried the Pro Comp MX-6 adjustable yet. They look fancy.

doestech 3000's. the only non coilover or air charged shock ill run. theyve been nothing but good to me and ive beat the piss out of them.

RE: you ever feel like your being followed

Will never use gas shocks again. Don't know how they react on a Jeep, being a much lighter vehicle. But both my friend and I had gas shocks on our Chevy 1-ton pickups and constantly had problems with the upper rear shock mounts getting torn off the frame. Mechanic told my friend it was the gas shocks doing it. We both changed to hydrolics and it never happened again. Don't know why those gas shocks did that, but it was getting expense to have those mounts welded back on everytime so I didn't care when I changed to hydros.

That's why when I ordered my Skyjacker 4" lift, I ordered the Hydro7000 shocks instead of the Nitros. Don't know how they ride yet. Still putting the kit on. Man, 16 years of rust really holds those old parts on.

No Mud in Virginia

I have a set of DT3000s and I dont know if I like them. Stiff. They have about 1500 miles on them, so I cannot form a solid opinion yet, but they do seem a bit tight. For example on the old twisty roads around here in NH they seem to bind, then give, forcing a drastic shift in weight. Sometimes kinda scary. Might not be 100% the shocks, but I know that if I had more supple ones the weight transfer might not be so sudden when folowing a slight bend in the road at 40mph. But what do i know, I still need to figure out how to attach my fron trac bar and get a steering dampner. Not to mention my YJ is on 33s, 6" off the ground. Wouldnt dare go on the highway.

Back