Keep The Smog Stuff Or Not

griff

Hey everybody.Still in the middle of the restore and so far so good but I've got some engine questions.I've been looking at all the pretty parts for the engine[headers,intake,carb] and don't know how the aftermarket stuff goes with all smog stuff on my 304.Should I can it or keep it or am I looking at a headache.It's a 1980 and I could tag it antique.Thanks again for the help with the welder question.Griff. Yeah the image is a cj5 but it looks exactly like my cj7.

If you can legally ditch all the smog stuff, then by all means do so. There are several reasons why to ditch the smog junk, such as most performance products are not smog legal, smog stuff hurts performance even with stock carb and everything, carbureted smog systems are headaches, and for those who are environmentally concerned, a de-smogged motor can be made to put out low enough emissions to pass a sniffer test--it's all a matter of engine efficiency, and all that out-dated smog junk is not very efficient.

RE: INTERSHIP / Co-op ... oil field

keep the smog stuff if you care about your kid's health and future.. it was put on there for a very good reason.

RE: Differential Whining?

graewulf said:
keep the smog stuff if you care about your kid's health and future.. it was put on there for a very good reason.

If you are concerned about air quality, pollution, and the health of our yoots then there are bigger fish to fry as to pollution. Passenger cars are a drop in the bucket. Trucks, trains, power plants, chemical plants, factories and manufacturing plants, heavy equipment...

The emmissions equipment and testing is a futile attempt at a fix for our environment. It is a charade by our politicians so they can make it appear that they care and are doing something. As a result we pay more for cars and our local governments have new ways to tax us.

Tear it outta there man, the emmissions stuff in '88 was very ineffective and just makes your CJ run like crap.

RE: MC2100 questions

The engine will really wake up if you remove the smog equipment.....but you have to understand that the whole engine is tuned for smog legality. With the 304, you are limited by the heads and unless you plan on changing those out or doing alot of work on them, you can't really go nuts. With careful selection of modern performance parts, that engine can run cleaner than it did when it was brand new.

An Edelbrock Performer intake, a 600cfm carb, some headers with a 2.5" dual exhaust, a better ignition, and a mild camshaft with somewhere between 210 and 218 degrees of duration @ .050 lift would do wonders for that engine.

RE: Good Rocker Guards and Driveshaft?

graewulf said:

Better yet, quite driving your vehicle all together. That way your kids health will never be of any concern...right :lol: :lol: :lol:

But really, ditch it if you can still pass any emissions tests that your state might have.

RE: Jeep recovery gone wrong.

graewulf said:
it was put on there for a very good reason.

The emissions system was put on there with good intentions, not good reasons. Carbureted emissions systems are futile. If you desmog it and your carb is adjusted correcty (and is not too big for the motor), then the motor can easily run cleaner than a stock motor with all that smog junk. The key is EFFICIENCY (not too rich, proper timing, hot spark, high compression, good air flow, etc.). And yes, there are MUCH bigger fish to fry. In the Central Valley in CA, livestock pollute the air more than cars. Airplanes burn crazy amounts of fuel. Factories pollute like mad. In China, they still burn coal. The list goes on.

RE: Jeep recovery gone wrong.

88Wrangles said:
graewulf said:

Better yet, quite driving your vehicle all together. That way your kids health will never be of any concern...right :lol: :lol: :lol:
WHy do you think a motorcycle is my daily driver? 51MPG around town vs 16.... and it does make a difference.. whether you think it does or not. Yes, proper setup on a carbureted system will work well, but the emissions stuff lowers your emissions even further.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Keep The Smog Stuff Or Not

graewulf said:
but the emissions stuff lowers your emissions even further.

...as a semi blowing black smoke from both stacks passes you going up a hill :lol:

The whole carb emissions system is a placebo. I will give credit to catalytic converters, but beyond that the emission system will actually not lower emissions that much. Pulse air? Smog pump? they correct for running too rich. If the carb is set right, these items will have a negligeable affect on emissions. Even if the carb is not set right, these items will still have a small affect on emissions--just ask yourself how well pumping fresh, cold air into the exhaust--after combustion--will help burn off unburned fuel--especially when the exhaust is going to hit fresh, cold air when it leaves the exhaust pipe. What it really does is dilute the exhaust before it leaves the tailpipe to "lower" emissions. Carbs are just too inaccurate; the main reason emission systems work so well on fuel injected motors is that the fuel is delivered electroncially, providing for accuracy. They are computer controlled and the air/fuel ratio is optimized based on various conditions to maximize efficiency. They get to the root of the problem (without ditching gasoline, which would be the ultimate sollution). The carb emissions system is a bandaid for the innacuracy of outdated technology. A carbed smog system will lower emissions just like a hot exhaust will add massive amounts of horse power. Motorcycles do pollute alot less than cars, but I put immediate safety before long-term safety--I refuse to commute on a donor cycle. I am against pollution, but I am realistic about it. Just like I'm realistic about adding power--I don't buy a fancy K&N air filter and Flowmaster exhaust and Borla Header, I stroke and bore the motor. The way I see it, go big or go home. I think that a propper quote here would be, "Give me the wisdom to know what I cannot change and the serenity to accept it, and give me the ability to know what I can change the courage to do so." We cannot change the fact that carbureted motors pollute, but we can change the design of out motors or use alternative fuels. Well that's my perspective, anyway. Graewulf, we're still friends, right? :lol: I hope I didn't offend anybody here.

Wow!I shook the nest with that one. Thanks to EVERYONE for their input. That's why this site is the best. griff.

RE: gonna lift her dont know who to use

Ah, 25 years old, eh? I would call or visit Va's DMV and see if you can get your 1980 registered as an antique vehicle with specialty plates. Find out what exceptions are allowed for that special registeration catagory as far as the visual/sniffer tests. You may be able to re-register it as an antique and be granted to fore-go some or all the emission "stuff." Special requirements may need to be met to qualify. But, bottom line, I would junk all of the smog equipment unless you have to have it. LBR

Re: tellico/September

griff, Not to go against the current, but if ya take all your smog stuff off could I have it? I have a 1980 CJ-7 I'm restoring and I could use the spares. I sure would appreciate it. And at least it would be used. PM me if ya would. Thanks for your time and good luck with your project.

Randy

Can it and plug off the exhaust manifod ports with bolts or weld them up (that is if you don't run headers). The emissions on an 80CJ are bound to be worn out and non functional anyway.

Back