help! need to bring life back to my fender flares

fastmach1

RE: Re: RE: help a little girl?

hey fellow jeepers, what can I do with my fender flares? they are kinda grey. its a 2000 TJ and they jus don't look good! help, please!

I know this sounds funny, but GOJO hand cleaner has lanolin in it (that oil from sheep skin) it will brighten up faded plastic. I know it works wonders on faded or cloudy soft top windows and cloudy headlight lenses.

You rub it in and let it set then wipe it down and buff it out.

i have been told that a heat gun or hair dryer over it will work. though i dont have the patience to try it myself.

RE: Recharging the AC

I have been looking for something also to clean up the wifes plastic on the Avalanche. I think I saw an ad somewhere for "Plastic Renew" or something like that. Anybody know what it's' actually called or where to get it?

redrooster said:
I have been looking for something also to clean up the wifes plastic on the Avalanche. I think I saw an ad somewhere for "Plastic Renew" or something like that. Anybody know what it's' actually called or where to get it?
I know McGuires makes something to renew the black finish on unpainted black plastic. I think it's called "Back to Black" but don't quote me on that. Should be able to find it at any automotive shop. I used it on my old stock YJ flares and it worked great but only lasts about 3-6 months before having to redo it.

RE: Recharging the AC

The mcguires stuff works good but like craig said it only lasts for a couple of months. Its not hard to do just spray on and wipe down. I think armorall should work just as good as the expensive stuff but im not sure. I've also heard the heat gun or heat technique works good too.

LR

OK here is the answer...all of the stuff so far works...but there is no way I would put a torch next to my Jeep! knowing my luck I would burn it down.
So being the lazy jeeper that I am I spent several hours researching this and found just what you need Forever black
Its shoe polish for your fender flares. I use it and love it

I just went through all this with the rubber on our volvo. The back to black stuff sucks dont waste your time. Its a water based crap in a bottle that only gets it wet. It lasts for 2 weeks and then looks crappy again. I will doublt check the name of the stuff I used. But it had a dye in it and it restains the plastic black. I did three coats on the volvo a month or so ago and it still looks great! I will shoot the name up tonight or tomorrow.

Heatgun works the best, start far away and use a sweeping motion until you get the feel for it. Pulls the black right back to the surface for a factory look.

Last edited:
The stuff I used is called Forever Black. It has a black dye in it and it worked great for me. Back to black didnt last at all for me but Forever Black was awsome.....just my $0.02

Electrical Problem...

I just pulled mine off, scuffed them up with a Scotchbrite pad, and sprayed them with a can of bumper black. Works great till you get tree limbs hitting them, but them you just touch up the scratches.

Heat gun.

With the new board, this message was to short for a post so I added this useless sentance to lengthen it.

I used Fusion spray paint by, I think, Krylon, almost 2 years ago. It is made to bond to plastic and holds up great.

Forever Black works great. However, they guarantee it for like a year. I just put it on my XJ, TJ and my Pathfinder. It really looks good and it dried in about twenty minutes. It states for a darker more glossy look, you need to apply a second coat which I did. I even washed the XJ about 40 minutes later and it held the luster. As for the price, it was pretty reasonable on Ebay. I bought two eight ounce bottles and after doing all three cars, to include the bumpers, door handles, and the trims, I still haven't opened the second bottle. We will see how long the luster holds, but so far I think it's great. I paid around fourteen bucks for the two bottles.

Re: Recharging the AC

LRwrnglr said:
The mcguires stuff works good but like craig said it only lasts for a couple of months. Its not hard to do just spray on and wipe down. I think armorall should work just as good as the expensive stuff but im not sure. I've also heard the heat gun or heat technique works good too.

LR

Armor All is what will fade the plastic. It contains alcohol or something that causes it to fade faster. I put Armor All on my wife's Avalanche and knew better. Two years later it is starting to fade where I put the Armor All

just dont use a sharpie marker like i did. they say its a permanent marker...thats false advertisement

Sharpie, ROFL!!!

Seriously though, it's easier to prevent fading than to fix it. Try a high-quality product like Zaino. The tire gloss will bring the black back to the plastic, but it will also prevent it from fading in the future due to UV protection. It's good stuff, plus, when you call the number you can actually talk to the dude that makes the stuff! Sal is awesome! Good luck talking to the people that actually invented the stuff you all are recommending on here...

www.zainostore.com

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-16&Category_Code=Zaino

ahunt01 said:
It's good stuff, plus, when you call the number you can actually talk to the dude that makes the stuff! Sal is awesome! Good luck talking to the people that actually invented the stuff you all are recommending on here...
Why did you need to talk to them in the first place?

Don't know that I really need to talk to the creator of the heatgun.

Back