need help w/ my tail pipe

Greencuke

ok, i know ive been having a lot of trouble w/ my exust system, but here goes again: the tail pipe on my Yj isn't attached to anything; it just kinda hangs there. There's a broken metal toung thing coming down from the chasis above the tail pipe, which leads me to think this had something to do at one point w/ holding the pipe up. i was just poking around under my buddy's yj and i found that he has a bracket device attached to this tounge which attaches to an "L" shaped bar comming off the top of the tail pipe. now, i dont have this, which leads me to believe that i should. I hooked this "L" bar to the rear leaf spring to keep it from just falling off, but everytime i hit a bump, it bounces. i am frustrated, and this needs to stop (plus im sure its not too good for it overall.) i need a soultion, preferbly one which does not include welding as is i do not have that service ready to me w/o taking it to a shop and being charged an ubserd amount. i was conisdering crafting a wooden block which would attach to the remnense of the broken metal toung, or prehaps someone has one of these brackets lying around...would be much obliged for any help. thanx [addsig]

If what your talking about is the hanger that holds up the tail pipe (which by your description, i'm pretty sure your are) then the fix is simple. Use a large hose clamp or exhaust clamp to hold it up. In the "How To Section" of this website under exhaust, the bottom picture shows a pretty darn good picture of this. Hope that this helps you, and makes some sort of sense. Look at the picture though to see if that is what in fact the solution is.[addsig]

I had a simmilar problem a while ago. I was backing down a hill(not a good idea) and caught my tailpipe on the ground, it bent the tailpipe clear around so it was pointing the other way. After I bent my tailpipe back I noticed half of my hanger was gone. So I took a piece of scrap metal and bent it to fit into the slits on the origenal peice. It took some time, and saved me money because I didn't have to buy a new hanger when I replace my pinched tailpipe. I hope that my story can help you out.

vavs [addsig]

If yu can get to a MIG welder that seem to work better than a clamp and is much quicker! Tug[addsig]

Sounds like an excuse for Borla headers and exhaust...
image-missing.png
[addsig]

The exhaust system on the YJ is pretty simple. There is a hanger up front by the transmission, one behind the muffler, that uses a rod and a rubber mount (to eliminate rattles and heat transfer), and one at the tail pipe end (it is also a rod welded to the pipe) which works great because of the limited clearance near the moving spring hanger. The best way I know is to have it welded (Ultimatly cheaper than doing it mouse/twice). NOTE: If you have a buddy do the welding, be REAL CAREFUL!!! THE GAS TANK DOES NOT LIKE THAT ACTION VERY MUCH!!! Normally having it welded by a muffler shop should not be more than Ten bucks- Fifteen Max. If so, go to another shop.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back