Looking to buy Jeep in Canada: Questions

wintaborn

Hi,

I have been doing some general reading, however I am still interested in hearing the opinions from the experts on this board.

1. Is there any reason to go for a newer TJ as opposed to saving some money and going for a better deal on a 1990 - 1995 YJ.

2. Other than the rust on doors and floor pans, what are other key things I should look for?

3. If the vehicles have 100,000 miles or more on them, is there a good chance that a rebuild will be needed soon.

4. If I can get the car to pull away from a standing stop in 3rd gear is that a good sign that the clutch and transmission are healthy?

Thanks for the help,

Tim

1. No, the YJ was a far superior design :twisted:

2. Abuse (trail damage, dirty oils/fluids/filters)

3. Not if it was treated right it won't.

4. I usually judge that by starting in 1st and go through the gears a few times at startup then again at normal operating temp. The clutch not slipping and smooth quiet shifts would be what I would want to see.

wintaborn said:
Hi Thanks for the answers.

Just curious...Why was the YJ a superior design?

Tim

That was posted by a (former) YJ owner!:roll: Kindof a joke amongst us Wrangler owners. I can't really say which is the superior design, although I've never gotten used to the square headlights (YJ's :twisted: ). The ride of the TJ is smoother (coil springs) which may or may not be superior (I personally prefer the ride of my wife's (mudwoman) YJ). They're a bit easier to lift (I believe) but they've got a really sucky dash - big bulbous thing - because of the airbag requirements. The coil spring suspension on the TJ allows you to mount 31's on the stock suspension without rubbing issues, but most of the differences I've see are simply because the TJ is "newer".........age wears on us all!!! It's basically just a personal preference thing.........and money has a LOT to do with that!! My financial situation at the time of my purchase dictated that I buy new (long story), hence the TJ. If I'd have been in different circumstances, I would have probably bought a YJ (even with those D*#* square headlights :twisted: ). In my humble opinion, they're BOTH superior designs to anything else out there, so buy one or the other and ENJOY!!!!!!

Welcome to the club!!

From a standpoint of wanting to build up a Jeep and keep it a real Jeep, not just a Jeep body on a full custom rig, the YJ is the way to go. It's got a better frame and body than previous models but it still has the proven leaf spring suspension and simple layout of all components. For a more factory rig that might just get some bigger tires and a moderate lift....it's your choice, although the TJ is going to cost more to modify and be more of a hassle, they are generally nicer rigs to drive around.

wintaborn said:
Hi Thanks for the answers.

Just curious...Why was the YJ a superior design?

Tim

Well, Tim, it a leaf spring thing and a matter of preferance. It's simple, stable, tough, and well...

just plain better :p

Back