battery wont charge

MikeB

i bought a new battery about a month ago, works fine. i noticed that the alternator wont keep it charged while its running, so i changed it. but just my luck it doesent seem that the alternator is the problem, what else should i look for? i figure theres a wiring problem somewhere

does it drain overnight? There may be some sort of current draw that is draining it.

Well, scratch that - I just re-read your post and it looks like it dies while it's running. It sure sounds like the alternator to me. How did you rule out the alternator?

Hmmm, just thought of something. before i got it running i was ghaving a hell of a time wiring up my solonoid, could there be a wire that was put in the wrong place that would cause this, i really dont know too much about wiring, Plz dont laught if thats the dumbest thing you've ever heard, i really dont know jack when it comes to wiring

the easiest way to see if the Alt is running good and to rule it out is to remove the battery terminals while the jeep is running. If it stays running your alt is at least providing enough voltage to keep the spark plugs lit.

Best advice...run it over to pep boys or a local auto parts store and have them check your system...its free and you can slide in the solenoid question as well.

thanks guys, its going in to get the mechanical done tommorow so i'll just charge up the battery before i bring it in, that'll buy me a little more time, im really starting to think thats its the wiring on the soloniod, how else would the power from the alternator get back to the battery? somebody please correct me if im wrong.

The alternator wire should be attached to the same solenoid terminal as the battery positive side. The opposite solenoid terminal should only be the wire to the starter. I don't know how you could get this backwards though. If you had the alternator wire to the starter terminal, it would keep the alternator from charging the battery, but it should also make the starter motor turn as long as the alternator is putting out current, as in whenever your engine is on. I think you would notice that!

bingo, i was having that problem with the starter but i thought it was just the igniton switch sticking bacause the tumbler is finished...it wouldnt last very long though, i would just turn it off and start it again and it wouldnt happen. anyways, thanks for the help, the jepp is going in for the mechanical in an hour so im gonna go fix this once and for all

Back