Stroker Build

MikeB

ok, now that my jeep is done, i need a new project, ive been thinking about biulding a stroker for a while now, but id like some opinions on the pros and cons. should i bother building a stroker or do up a 360? my plan is, within the next year i would like to buy another jeep, and build my yj up for the trails, what would be the best way to go

Dollar for dollar, you'll make more power with the 360. The 360 has more build potential than the smaller engine too. I love the inline six engines, but the V8 is just a better starting point if you want to make alot of power and aren't willing to bust the bank to do it.

I have to agree. I'm building a stroked 4.0L right now, and it's turning into a money pit. Mainly it's just becoming expensive because I'm doing everything "right" and not taking any short cuts. Not that the stroker is a bad motor, only dollar for dollar you get more out of a V8. Some states don't let you increase the engine size though for emissions-related reasons, and if that's a problem, then the stroker very well might be the best engine choice.

i live in northern ontario, Canada. all the emmissions bull**** hasent made its way up here yet, I got the mechanical done on my yj with a 4.2 done this morning. i bypassed all the pollution control in it and it paseed with no problem, im starting to lean towards the 360, its cheap and you get bang for buck, plus they're not exactly hard to find

I vote for the stroker motor myself.....'specially the BBC 572 CID. LBR

I say stroker... but that's because I am a diehard jeeper... and because I like to do things that aren't seen every day. Not that a 360 is seen in a jeep every day. I think the stroker earns the most points

Anyone know the weight difference between the two engines? That might be something to consider as well. Also, you might want to consider what you have for the rest of the drivetrain...cause if you have smaller axles they might not like a 360 all that much.

I can't remember the weights, but they aren't as far apart as you would think.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm all about making the guy with the bigger engine feel bad. I LOVE the inline sixes when they're built right. Even so, the 360 is easier, cheaper, and has more potential.....bottom line.

**The hopped up is six IS alot cooler and probably more fun in the long run.

With the stroker, you can keep the rest of the drivetrain. I heard a V8 will rip apart the stock transmission. I'll be building a stroker eventually.

The stroker will definately be a torque monster. I'm building my stroker for the low end torque, emissions, and to keep it Jeep. A stroker will rip apart alot of factory trannies, but not all of them. The weakest manual I've heard of people using is the AX15. I'm going with an NV3550, since I will be 'wheeling the Jeep pretty hard.

GaryMB said:
The stroker will definately be a torque monster. I'm building my stroker for the low end torque, emissions, and to keep it Jeep. A stroker will rip apart alot of factory trannies, but not all of them. The weakest manual I've heard of people using is the AX15. I'm going with an NV3550, since I will be 'wheeling the Jeep pretty hard.

Oh no! I read that the AX-15 could handle a stroker. That's what I have now and I was planning on keeping it. I hope for my sake you are wrong!

I wouldn't worry about running an AX-15 behind a stroker. From what I've heard, it usually holds up fine. It's really just an issue of how hard you 'wheel the Jeep, and I just figured I would play it safe as I will be running 35's and hitting the gas alot. I wouldn't go with anything weaker than an AX-15, though.

I think that Toyota used a very similar transmission to the AX15 in the Supra....might be a place to get upgrade internals. I wouldn't be scared to run one behind a stroker if it was already there, but keep in mind that it won't handle abuse behind a healthy I6 for too long....stroked or not. Some people get away with it, but I said ABUSE behind a HEALTHY I6. If you drive like me, it would be a grenade and those WOT shifts to second would be like pulling the pin.

And how is a 4.0 any more "Jeep" than an AMC 360?

Last edited:
ive been debating the stroker vs. V8 for a while too. bottom line is like junkpile said, a V8 is certainly more bang for the buck.. My plan for the stroker was to find a junked 4.0, an go from there. porting and polishing the heads, as well as using clifford's blueprints. for airflow i was planning on using was redline's TBI, and clifford's headers. When complete id swap for the current 258 im running and just rebuilt 25000 miles ago, and dump it on ebay.
BUT--- I could get alot more power, and save money by dropping a in TBI GM 350. Im already in the market for a TH700..
also the GM 350 has an abundance of parts -cheap and easy to find, used and new. Working in the autoparts industry, experience says theres alot more cheap, readily available GM350 parts than any jeep motor.

Id go with the V8 if I could afford it!!

How much power do you need? Is 400hp enough? That's not hard with an AMC 360. The Chevrolet smallblock will always be king, but the AMC has the ease of installation on it's side here. By the time you get all of the parts to install the Chevy you've more than covered the parts price difference between the engines. The savings aren't there and unless you're building a serious smallblock, you can make just as much power with the AMC.

junkpile,

forgive my ignorance, but are you saying the 360 bolts right in to the unmodified YJ "slots"??

No, he's saying exactly the opposite. He's saying teh AMC engine will be a direct bolt in, it being the stock engine already. He's saying that after buying the conversion parts, the cost for both engines will be about the same.

Back