2 battery install?

bluejeep

Is there a write up on how to install 2 battery's? Here is the deal, i have a plow that is operated by a winch. When i hit the winch, the voltige meter drops to 8v. I also have 2 spot lights that turn on when i go in reverse that also kills the batt. So i guess i need two batterys. i have a marine batt that i want to use or i have a 1F Cap, that i dont really want to use. i wanted a optima but costco was sold out (they were about $85 there). can anyone think of what i can rig up here? thanks!

never seen it in a car, but I've wired it up in my boat. You can normally run battery 1, battery 2, both batteries, or turn them off. Sounds like what you want

image-missing.png

that's the one I have

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...goryg/10001/-1/10001/297/207/9/man/asc/0/grid

There is a battery tray kit for your YJ that allows 2 batteries to be installed. I don't know who makes it.

Sounds like you may just need 1 new (good) battery, that doesn't sound like much of a load to be pulling the battery down that much.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Sounds like you may just need 1 new (good) battery, that doesn't sound like much of a load to be pulling the battery down that much.

I agree. I'd have your battery and alternator checked out and make sure they're still good. I put WAY more of a load on my batteries all the time and never have problems like that.

I upgraded my alternator to 165a from the 117a stock one due to winch, etc. Not bad for 85 bucks off Ebay.. Just in case the battery isn't the issue.

I would check your system like already said. But if you want two batteries, I use a wrangler NW dual tray, 2 yellow top deepcycle optima's, and a 200a relay and toggle switch to either have one on or both on at the same time. I've never had a problem running my winch, kc's, stereo, for last 4 yrs....my .02

The bat is new, Costco brand, I looked it up in thier book and got the one it sad is soppesed to fit. I got home put it in and the bat. is too small. The old one is bigger. But i still put it in and drive around for 2 months now. im not sure but maybe it has less amps? But i know my old batt. used to do the same thing with the winch.

I remember reading an article on the web about a tray that is available for a two bat install. HOWEVER, this proceedure will require you to move some other things under your hood, I think it was the AC unit? And then you have to buy an additional piece of piping that is made so that everything will line up correctly to your AC unit. Just my thought, but that seems like a complete PAIN IN THE ASS! But hey, if what what you say is true about your volt meter slammin down like that and the battery is brand new, then two batteries would probably be a good investment. I tried to google search the website I read about this, but I wasnt able to find it SORRY! Keep in mind if you go two batteries, you will figure out a conifuration to where everything will fit under the hood.

Last edited:

Yea, i dont want to move evrything! it is a pain, I think i might just put it somewhere else? Maybe even inside. I have a deep cycle batt, can i keep my reguler batt and hook up the deep cycle boat batt to it?

That I do not have any clue. Electrical crap like that is WAY OUTTA MY LEAGUE. I read stuff about it, but I never really try it. Im a chicken poop when it comes to extensive stuff like that.

Last edited:
If you put it inside the Jeep, make sure it's in a battery box...whether you buy one or make one. Battery acid all over the inside of a rolled vehicle is not fun!!

bluejeep said:
I have a deep cycle batt, can i keep my reguler batt and hook up the deep cycle boat batt to it?

If it's a 12volt battery...then yes you sure can.

If you want to run 2 batteries properly, you need an isolator. You can use either a real isolator (i got one on clearance at AZ for 2.50) or you can use a standalone starter solenoid. Both will hook up differently. PM me if you want details

We had an 84 Wrangler that I hooked up a dual battery system in. We do a lot of overnighters and used the second battery for all elect appliances from lights and radios to a 12 volt cooler. We hooked the batteries in parallel. We used a 12 volt DC alternating relay. This relay will enable you to use one battery at night and will switch contacts on the next start to start on the unused (fresh) battery the next morning. Each start will alternate batteries and both will charge at the same time. And a large draw will be felt across both batteries simultaneously. You have to install two bulkhead starter solenoids for the main current from the batteries to the starter and jump the control wire on the starter to the main terminal. There was a lot of room under that old hood and I just made a plate for two batteries. I picked up the relay at a military electronics outfit for $3.50.

However,

I now have an 05 with no room. They stick a plate up under the brake booster but that is worthless. I too am pondering a battery box in the rear.

ok here is a similar question. how do tractor trailrs run their batteries without anything special? no solenoids, no isolaters, just heavy gauge wire. all are wired in parallel. and they last. every major truck manufactrer does it. from freightliner to mack to volvo. why is that? i just ran my two optimas in parrallel and i have had it that way for over a year

If you put it inside the Jeep, make sure it's in a battery box...whether you buy one or make one. Battery acid all over the inside of a rolled vehicle is not fun!!

With a optima that wont be a problem just make sure it is strapped down.

Back