Proper towing procedures

ahunt01

Hi all, now that old-man winter is here (yayy snow!), I figured I should be well versed in the art of towing. I have the factory tow package, and an 05 Auto Unlimited. I also plan to buy a snatch strap today, based on recommendations from this board.

I'd like to know how to properly tow another vehicle (say, out of a ditch along the road). Beyond the procedure, do I engage in 4X4 hi/lo, what? I imagine on dry land, I do 2wd, but on slippery conditions (snow/mud), I am unsure. There is no mention of this in my owner’s manual.

Also, I'd like to know how to have my vehicle properly towed (say, out of a ditch along the road). By this, I mean what do I do, put the drive train in N and the transmission in N, or what? As far as the other dude (pulling me out), well, that would be the answer I'm seeking (except in my question I would be the one doing it), in my first question.

The owners manual only touches on this when discussing "recreational towing." Recreational towing, to me, appeared to mean being towed behind a Winnebago. They recommended having all four wheels off the ground. Also, when "emergency towing", which I took as me getting towed, they again recommend having all four wheels off the ground. This is good info, but does not address my question about what is the proper procedure to initially have my vehicle towed (out of a ditch).

Thanks a bunch fellas!

Last edited:

I use 4LO when pulling someone out most of the time on ANY surface.
Sometimes you need the "snap" on a pull and that's when I use 4HI. If I have enough traction to pull I usually have the stuck vehicle put in neutral. I've had a few people "nail it" as I was pulling them out and end up nailing me. If I don't have enough traction to pull then I have them help a bit if they can. You'll get the hang of it after a few yanks. Hope this helps ya'

Check this link out, about 3/4 of the way down the page. www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/index.html

If you should need towed behind a wrecker, I'd recommend lifting the front wheels, transfer case in neutral and transmission in park. Same goes for recreational towing (flat-towing).

Should you need pulled out, I recommend steady throttle to minimize spinning, as long as you can throttle out and stop before hitting the pulling vehicle.

As far as someone pulling you out of a sticky situation I dont really think and damage would come to your Jeep as long as the pull was a SHORT distance. WOULD IT? I dunno. If you put the transfer case in N and keep your transmission in N shouldnt that allow no wear and tear on either one for a small pull out of a ditch? ( Not that Wranglers have a tendancy to get stuck anyway except on trails. Not in snow anway.)

And pulling people out...I have always used 4 LO regardless. And nine times out of ten I have poeple put their automobile in N. Good tires with some grip though always are a must.

The vehicle being pulled out should be in Drive, or 1st gear. The stuck person should give their vehicle a little bit of gas...just to the point where their tires are about to spin, but not quite. Then when you get moving a little, give it a little more gas, but have the tires spinning like crazy...just a little bit.

I always tow people out in whatever gear is neccessary. Sometimes 2wd hi range works sometimes you need 4lo...it all really depends on the situation.

put it in 4 lo when you need more power. (yes even on pavement)
4hi when you just need traction and a little umph
try 2hi first, but more often than not it wont get you anywhere.

Great tips! I think you all answered my questions! Thanks everyone :)

Oh btw, I got my first chance to drive my new Jeep in snow. It's the first time really that I've had it in 4wd that I needed it anways. Wow, that thing is awesome. I stopped on completely snow covered hills to test 4x4, and it pulled me right up. Even worked on ice-covered hills. I dunno if I'll ever need chains, or even beefy snow tires.

Back