Tire Carrier

LRwrnglr

I'm looking to build new bumpers and tire carrier for the Jeep. But I was wondering if anybody has the Currie or Rock Krusher tire carrier?? If you do, would you take some pictures and send them to my email? ford_muscle10@hotmail.com

Basic lay out, without tire?
Close up of Hinge?
Close up of locking pin?

If anybody could help me out I would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

LR

just a word of advice, if you use a trailer spindle for your pivot use something stupid heavy duty. there have been plenty of 1000 pound spindles break off, and ive bent one myself on my tire carrier, all that it took to bend it back was me jumping on it. the best way is to put the pivot in a double sheer situation.

like this
hinge10-4.jpg

in fact, here is the link of this guy describing his carrier hinge set up.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3671294&postcount=27

Last edited:
Sorry I was so vague on the last post. what I mean was some kind of latch. Had a brain fart thinking of a word for latch.

LR

use a positive locking latch, like a destaco or something similar that locks in good and tight, they seem to work the best. i have a buddy that used to sell bumpers on ebay and thats what he used, he hasnt had a problem to date. the only reason he stopped is cuz the city didnt like him "running a buisness out of his house"

yep, something of that nature. i used a spring loaded pin on mine, it worked allright but it didnt "lock" it into place, just held it there. when i bent the spindle the arm was free to float because it wasnt holding the swing arm, just keeping it in place. ive also seen guys do a double sheer thing, similar to the bearing end of the picture above, and just use a ball hitch pin and pin through it to hold the arm

Thanks for the input from everybody. Hopefully I can get this project done in a decent time. If I have time I'll take pictures and post along the way. Thanks

LR

How large of a tire would you trust the stock spare mount to handle without damaging the back gate or hinges?

HouTexs

Depends on how hard you drive and what type of Jeep, since I know TJ's best I'll assume you mean TJ's. I run with a 31 on the stock mount and have not had any problems. However, it just barely fits. My neighbor has a 33" mounted on his (thanks to an adaptor kit) and I can watch it rattle his tailgate as he rolls down the street, but since he rarely takes it off road its OK for him.

I wouldn't go over a 31" though personally.

I'm "in step" with OutofStep......I've got a 31" on mine and it feels like it's at about it's limit (stock, of course). If I were to go to all the expense of larger tires (lift, gears, etc, etc), I would go with a swing away.........or let my son weld me up something really beefy...with his artistic touch, of course!!! :lol: :lol:

Anyone seen or own one of the bestop swing away carriers? Is is a piece or would it hold up to some mild off roading without casusing problems.
I am trying to figure out what I want to do be it either a bumper/tire carrier combo or something like that.

HouTexs

Back