AX15 (or better) swap advice

hoobness

Hey all,

havent posted in a while, working 60 hr weeks... Gonna need a transmission here pretty soon.

My 1987 BA10 with over 200K is getting harder and harder to shift. Im afraid to go wheeling anymore... The last thing I need is to be stuck 10 miles in the snow covered woods without transmission! So the YJ is now just a street jeep... :(

Anyway, getting down to it I want to swap in an AX15. Honestly Id like to go with a TH350 or 700 but that'd be about 2x the cost of the manual.
The jeep motor is a 258, the xfer is a np231.
After locating the AX15, or other reasonably priced transmission and having it rebuilt, what will I need to make this do-able.

Same external clutch master cyl? -- or do i need to buy another clutch system?

I imagine its around the same length...?
what about input and output shafts.. do I need adapters?

SO anyway what am I up against????

I like to stay as far under $1000 as I can...

it shouldnt be too bad, no adapters or anything are needed.just get the right clutch and pressure plate and throw out bearing and go to town. you might think about getting a bellhousing with an external slave instead of internal (94+) this will save you a lot of nightmares.

Your t/c has different splines. You will need the 231 from the ax-15. The clutch is the same for early ax-15 w/ interenal slave.

Id go with the AX-15, be prepared because they are a little pricey though, the cheapest i could find a used one was 600 bucks,

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

so my current np231 will <i>not</i> mate up to the ax15...? What about a coupling to mate the 2 shafts?

the bellhousing of the axi4 <i>does</i> mate up to the carb'd 258..?

Check www.car-part.com for trannies.

You can swap input shafts in your 231 to match the transmission output, requires complete dissassembly of the 231 but it's pretty easy.

I'd stick with a '94+ AX15 so you get the benefit of external clutch slave. Do it right the first time and you'll never have to drop a transmission to replace the clutch slave again.

swapping the input shaft is a bunch of work, but as bounty said, pretty easy. if you ask me, its pretty fun. A couple months ago I did a bunch of input swaps. I started doing a write-up but stopped, some day I'll get back to it

Back