TJ 4.0 to 350 swap.

Should I replace the stock trans or do the whole swap?

• replace stock trans

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 350 and TH350

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

Mxpx182lit

Hey everyone, its been a while since i've been here. Been working long and hard on the 73 Nova, and kinda neglecting the jeep. How horrible of me. Long story short the transmission in the jeep went out (auto) and i have a spare 350 and TH350 sitting on my garage floor. How much $ and effort is required to do this? I just got done swapping out the 350 for a 454 in the nova. Would the jeep swap be alot more involved? I cant find any info on putting it into a TJ, only CJ's. Any help would be appreciated.

How hard it will be depends on your knowledge of wiring and if the engine will be carbed or injected. It's easier on the older carbed jeeps.

I'd use the 350, why find another jeep transmission or rebuild yours just to use an $$ adapter between the two.

If your going to put in another auto transmission I would suggest the th700r4 or the electronic up graded 4l60e. these transmissions fit very well into your jeep and you should have no problems matching them to your 350 cid. Both of these transmissions are a 4 speed that offers a over drive to help making your drives to go wheeling alot nicer.
Novak makes a wonderful adapter kit for you. They also provide all the information you would require for this kind of swap.

Well the engine in it now (4.0) is injected, but the 350 is going to be carburated. Wiring is not an issue becasue i'm lazy, so i would be getting the standalone system with all the little switches for everything. That what i did on my nova and it works great. I dont want to buy a new automatic if i was to use the 350, as i have a good TH350 already. Would that work or would i need the 700r4. I've seen adapters for sale at Novak and Advance, but does anyone make a kit with all the adapters needed?

Back