wiring harness

Natty

Happy Holidays (which ever ones you celebrate),

My Jeep has a nasty habit of blowing fuses every now and then. It's random timing. The fuse it rejects like a bad organ from a donor is the one that controls the minor things in the Jeep...the speedo, tach, gas, oil, battery, temp, the whole cluster. I once dreamed of rewiring the whole thing, however I can only find a wiring harness for the CJ's, and my dreams were shattered with the $1500 dealership quote (wires only). I think the short is somewhere in the reverse lights, since they don't work when the fuse blows, and I have noticed the fuse blowing coincendentally while engaging in reverse. So, if anyone knows where to get a better wiring harness without grabbing my ankles like the dealership wants me to do, please let me know. Thanks.[addsig]

i'd suggest going through all your fuses and verifying that you have the correct fuse in each slot. perhaps someone swapped some fuses to test something and now the wrong amperage fuse is somewhere. i doubt you need a new harness... it just seems that you have a bad ground or some wires that are touching somewhere. take a digital multimeter and test wires until something doesn't seem right. then check the connections... basically you just go over the whole car and find where the errors are.[addsig]

tool dealers such as snap on mac matco sells a tool that you place in the blown fuse holder and rum a meter down the wireing harness and the meter will show you where your short is i have had mine now for about 15 years and dont remember what it costs[addsig]

Natty:

Changing out the whole wiring harness seems overkill on a 94 for what might be a small problem. If you think the fuse blows when you shift into reverse, then start looking there. If this is an automatic, look at the shift linkage for broken or grounding wires, at the tail light connection for internal corrosion, or at the backup light switch for broken or exposed wires. Tracing problems without being there is really tough, but finding a fellow Jeeper with that talent close to you might be a good way to solve your problems.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I found on mine where the contact strip behind the instrument cluster was rubbing on the metal dash and causing intermittant shorts. I put tape on the sharp sheet metal havn´t had a problem since. During a trip to the junk yard, I had a brain storm. Now every bare wire in my YJ is covered with flex plastic tubing. I keep a box of cable tubing in the garage, I scavenged at the junk yard. Helps keep things from rubbing and chaffing and gives a little piece of mind.[addsig]

Thanks for the info ya'll. It seems like the only option now is a 12pk or a case for the day I decide to search for the short. Thanks again.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back