Locker

dju91001

I want to put an auto locker in my cj7 with a amc20 rear end. I looked at the powertrax locker, but i was told it wouldnt work in this rearend since it has one piece axles, and the factory trac lock (limited slip). Will a detroit work? I dont have the expense to go with an ARB or Ox. Any words of wisdom? Thanks

It's likely the powetrax (lockright, isn't it?) won't work because it installs in an open diff, not a limited slip. It shouldn't have anything to do with the aftermarket 1-piece axles. Find an open carrier for that ratio and axle and you can use a Lockright or EZlocker or Aussie or NoSlip or other lunchbox locker.

A full detroit would work, but they're expensive. I'd go with an open carrier and lunchbox locker. It's good you've already upgraded the shafts.

I would not recommend a spool with a lot of driving on asphalt. With meaty tires and the Jeep's sharp turning radius, you should have a bit of forgiveness when turning tightly. Eating up tires would be a secondary concern of mine in your case. The stress on the internals in a dry parking lot and in a tight turn would be weighing heavily on my mind every time I made such a turn. We have a spooled street vehicle and it is fine for an occasional driver, but tight turns in parking lots are avoided...especially with brittle racing axles (which you don't have). LBR

I run my YJ welded front and rear (basically spools), the rear isn't too bad on the street. Extra tire wear is minor.

Back