cj spring over?

TP83

I got a cj5 with a 4 in suspension lift on 33's and wana to raise it a little more/alot. Im thinking about doing a spring over conversion with a 2in body lift to get some bigger tires on it. How hard is this conversion and what will i be needing to change and replace etc.. Thanks for the help

I can't imagine you being able to run a rear driveshaft in a '5 with the axles beneath 4" lift springs, way too much height for driveable driveshaft angles.

Not too mention a scary ride on and offroad. :shock:

If you want a good performing SOA setup, consider stock YJ springs with an AAL, or RE 1.5" YJ SOA springs, or some heavy stock or 1" lift springs.

Rancho used to make a 1" spring lift for CJs that was nice for SOA. They might still make it, I don't know. A little stiffer spring like that is perfect for the SOA. You might consider swapping YJ springs on the front though for the better ride. How big are you wanting to go?

I suggest Rubicon Express SOA springs. they are a 1.5" lift and have reverse eyes, which are supposed to take care of the spring wrap issue. I'll be getting them soon, I have stock springs with an AAL and they are too stiff and loosing thier arch.

Joopin said:
I suggest Rubicon Express SOA springs. they are a 1.5" lift and have reverse eyes, which are supposed to take care of the spring wrap issue. I'll be getting them soon, I have stock springs with an AAL and they are too stiff and loosing thier arch.
X2. Sweet ride, flex, and just the right height for what you want.

TP83 - leaf springs in short wheelbase Jeeps (CJ, YJ) are mounted under the axle (SUA). Moving them above the axle would be a SOA conversion.

Thanks! this is giving me a second thought about all of this. I already got 33s but wanted to go either 35s or 37s. would you recommend a body lift and keep it SUA?

TP83 said:
Thanks! this is giving me a second thought about all of this. I already got 33s but wanted to go either 35s or 37s. would you recommend a body lift and keep it SUA?

i also have a 75 cj. i was wondering if a soa conversion is a good idea? i dont know too much about it and dont really have any friends into trucks/jeeps.... so i'm pretty much trying to do a full restoration all by myself and learning in the process. how will a soa conversion differ my ride from a block lift and what will i need to complete the conversion? i'm pretty much wanting all the info i can get on this. haha break it down for me.

I don't think the rear driveshaft will be too short or have an unbearable angle. My CJ7 had an 18" shaft after I put the auto transmission and Atlas in there. Of course it will require the use of a CV on the upper end.
What axles are you running? If you are running the stock axles off road then you probably don't want to go above a 33 or 35 anyway. IF it is just for street then it should be good for a 35.

Back