SmittyBuilt SRC bumpers

houtexs

Anyone have the Smitty Built SRC bumpers on thier TJ? I am really leaning towards these bumpers for my jeep but would like to hear what everyone thinks. I was wondering about the install on the rear bumper and how dificult it was. Any pictures of the finished install would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

HouTexs

I bought a set of SmittyBilt bumpers and pushbars for my '85 Toy 4x4 back in about '86. Actually, it wasn't a front bumper, only the pushbar and brushguards, as well as nerf bars. The pushbar/brush guard combo and nerf bars went on with no problems, but the brackets for the rear tube bumper were too tall and wouldn't fit into the frame slot. They were around 1/4" to 3/8" thick, and about 1/4" too tall. At the time, I didn't have access to any decent grinders, so I never did put the bumper on the truck and ended up selling it. I've talked to a few others since then that weren't happy with the way SmittyBilt products lined up for installation on different types of vehicles. My biggest problem with the other parts was the powder coating. It didn't last 3 months before it started peeling and flaking, and eventually rusting all over. I'll never buy another SmittyBilt product again.

Sorry houtexs but I would have to agree with....whats his name...spanky? nope... ummm sparkles?....nope...sparky ya thats it.

No really what I have heard from my jeep club is that Smitty builds good stuff but there powder coating..lacks the big one.

I bought a set of SmittyBilt bumpers, it was very easy to install.

Attachments

• jeep tj 98.jpg
    jeep tj 98.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 23,448
  • jeep tj 98_2.jpg
    jeep tj 98_2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 3,842

The older ****tybuilt bumpers were made from pretty thin gauge tubing and dented easily. What gauge are the ones you are looking at?

i got the new src front bumper on my 88 yj. got it for xmas from my girl, i had a lil problem putting it on my frame rails but some gental persasion with a dead blow hammer and i got it on. its the new one with the 4 light tabs and 2 d rings and front hoop on it it looks great and will look better with a winch there, lol

Back