Death Wobble Gone!

monkeyman

I just finished installing an OEM CJ sway bar and some JKS quick disconnects on my 79CJ5. The Jeep almost drives like a safe car on the road. The death wobble has been reduced to a non-death wobble. I highly recommend a sway bar if you are scared of your jeep on the road. Mine never came with a factory sway bar… weird! The mounting holes for the sway bar bracket had no threads. I had to pull a bolt through the frame attached to a small piece of wire and drop it in to the mounting hole, then brace it with a large screwdriver to get the nut tight… A major pain in the ass! If your jeep projects are quick then your jeep is too new!

Death Wobble usually has nothing to do with the sway bar. It has more to do with the steering, be it ball joints, worn parts or bad caster. Usually a lack of sway bar just makes it wander the road like you were drunk.
That's interesting. Did you check all the spring bushings to make sure they were in good shape too?

I am getting “death wobble” confused with being drunk… it happens time to time. I guess my jeep never had the death wobble, it just never wanted to stay on the road. The spring bushings are new, however I need to replace the tie rod ends and a left front wheel bearing- I imagine the handling will improve after that.

Death wobble is the uncontrollable shaking of the front axle, generally remedied by coming to a stop. Rare on leaf spring vehicles, generally only occurs on jeeps with car springs.

Bounty__Hunter said:
jeeps with car springs.

image-missing.png
:evil:

:p

Nothin but love, brotha :D Or jealousy :shock:

I have no room to talk, I have one jeep that has car springs on half of it ;)

I got death wobble real bad one time walking home from a Smoking Popes show, woke up in a ditch about 200 yards from my appartment. ;)

OutOfStep said:
I got death wobble real bad one time walking home from a Smoking Popes show, woke up in a ditch about 200 yards from my appartment. ;)

HaHa - you must have been OutOfStep then too! LBR

Back