EGR Valve?

monkeyman

Ok- A question for the smart old timers. Do I hook up the EGR valve to the new Weber Carb on my 258 or do I plug it up? I have read too many conflicting opinions. What have you guys done with your EGR Valves?

If you have a computer, blocking off your EGR could cause the engine to run rough. Unless you eliminate the computer, I would just make sure it functions properly.

I agree, it's like cuttin' off some of your body parts........things just don't work the same anymore and there's new and different problems!
That's 'bout it!

I've got an 87 with the 4.2 and a Weber 32/36. The EGR was disconnected when I got the Jeep when it had a Carter, and I left it disconnected with the Weber. No rough running problems or anything like that. I haven't been able to get it to quit running rich though. I am wondering if the disconnected EGR may be the problem there. Otherwise, it runs fine as is.

No Computer… It’s a 79 CJ. The EGR has never been hooked up but I have read keeping it hooked up is a good idea…. I have no idea?? I know I need a thermal vacuum switch between the EGR and the carb, does anyone know where the TVS goes? Does it screw into the intake manifold?

I would just hook it up. It might not neccessarily hurt to leave it unhooked...but it definatly won't hurt to simply hook it up and leave it the way it's supposed to be.

Thanks for the link. I hooked up the EGR and the engine just dies??? Maybe the Weber pulls more vacuum than the Carter. Any ideas?

Are you using the port to the rear of the carb? That is the right one. If so, your EGR valve, CTO switch, or cannister may be malfunctioning. Any of those could act like an open vacuum source making the motor die. If you are hooked up to the front port on the carb, it is a constant vacuum that will open the EGR when it should be closed--again making like a huge vacuum leak. That port is for vacuum advance on the distributor.

I have double checked and I am using the vacuum port that Weber recommends for the EGR. I will also try bypassing the CTO switch when the engine is warm to eliminate that possibility, since the CTO opens fully at about 155°. I bought a vacuum gage, and I will MONKEY with that today. Thanks again for the beta.

Back