What kind of Lockers to Put in??????

jeeperwilly

Christmas is coming, my wallet will be getting fat. I will be "aquiring" some money after the holidys. My plans are to add a pair of lockers to my 30 and 35. The question is... what kind do I want to put in. I've been looking at mechanical locking types(ARB, Ox Locker, and so on) but I'm not sure which brand is better and what will be stronger. My Jeep for the most part right now is a daily driver, but by this summer it's gonna be strickly trail. I've heard bad things about auto lockers and driving on the road, so I'd like to stay away from that depart ment. I was just wondering if anyone might want to help me out on this decision. Thanks much, Paul
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Best set up would be dual ARB's You have control of the lock both in front and back.

ARB's require air to operate, and therfore need an air supply. The ARB air compressors

work well for the locker operations, and can, in a pinch inflate tires.

The OX lockers are activated by a cable. You should refrain from installing a "Detroit" style locker in the front, as it'll allways be working, and without locking hubs, your front running gear will allways be working.

Limited slip differntials can do well up front.

[addsig]

JeeperWilly:

You have opened a can of worms. Everybody will have a different opinion. Some of them will be from Jeepers with lockers and some will be hearsay. Some will be from good drivers; some will be from ones that aren’t. Understand that there are lockers designed for different situations and the all have their benefits. Cost and installation are a major factor, and usage determines needs. Are you installing new gears or do you want to do it yourself? Most lockers (not all) work fine providing you drive correctly. Lockers are only as good as the other parts involved and the weakest link breaks first. Also the type of driving determines which you choose. Daily driver, freeway cruiser, weekend offroader? Friend also drives it? Rock crawler? Mud runner? Dirt trails? Water/snow? And of course, are you light on the throttle or is hammer down your style? Talk to the Jeepers that are using the products, listen to their stories, and choose the one that fits your needs, and your budget.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I put ABR's front and rear brfore the Ox came out. If I was to do it again, I'd go ABR rear and OX front.[addsig]

ARB air lockers F/R...NICE, but pricey!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Do alot of driving on ice and snow, have always had a limited slip in the rear. Also do alot of dirt roading (mud roading) dirt road to pavement and back again. The limited slips work well, except for the ratchet type, in my YJ which requires a gentle pedal not to switch ends. Requires alot less shifting in and out of four wheel, and is usually enough to keep from spinning the front and rears together. Wouldn´t have any kind of front locker or limited slip, messes with the stearing to much in the loose stuff (been there done that). Only been stuck once in the last couple of years, parked it on the spare tire, locker wouldn´t have helped much.

Not to change the subject, but a little parking brake applied when the rear wheels are spinning and/or turning the front left and right a little, is about the cheapest limited slip around.
image-missing.png

I´ve been kinda holding my breath, while not a particular fan of electronics, I´ve been expecting some after market add on´s for the ABS to enhance traction, like what new Range Rovers have. If it´s in there anyway why not use it to the best effect. [addsig]

DETROIT rear it's bullet proof .... the front do what you like .... even in an open diff the front running gear is rolling while in 2 wheel drive .... heres the real ??????? with the tires you are going to use will your axles hold up? if you are going to stay with the stock axles don't go over 33" tires .... the rear dana 35 is held together with c clips... if it blows the tire and axle shaft will come out of the axle tude... thats not good... good luck with your jeep and have fun .... all locks kick azz ..... and that cheep lock right will hold up in that dana 30 if you don't over due the tires ... arb ox its all good but why put them in if your axle won't hold up.... just something to think about.... [addsig]

Is it a yj or a tj? A yj get waggoneer 44's front and rear. New brakes,

lockers and gears your good to go. If its a tj id be happy to sell you

the axels im about to pull out. D44 rear with a detroit softlocker 4.56's

and a D30 front with a detroit trutrac and 4.56's. Im changing to D44r

front and a D60 rear full-float (8-lug, 5.13's, softlockers). As fas as those

axels are concerned they will be out in the first week of january and im

asking $1500. As far as automatic lockers and street driving is concerned,

once you get used to you wouldn't have it any other way.

I live in ohio, and can be contacted at AFholmz@aol.com or 419-875-5105[addsig]

Ok, so my axles may be a little weak for what I want to put in for mech. lockers. I've been looking into lock-right lockers and power-trax limited slip lockers. The power-trax seem like they would be quiter, but the lock-rights sound like they're better off road. If anyone uses either, let me know. OH, and one more question, eaton lockers, anyone use them on dana's or anything else? I just found out that a friend is going to intern for eaton and he might be able to cut me a deal or get me a "prement Trial set". Thanks again for everyones input,

Paul
image-missing.png
[addsig]

jeeperwilly.

Let me preface this with stating that my Jeep is used as a daily driver and a weekend rock crawler that drives to and from the trails. Several years ago I started running with a great club that has every type of Jeep you can imagine. From bone stockers to out of control trailer queen, spend every Penney CJ’s Yj’s TJ’s and more (you get my drift. some way built rides) and everything in between. On the trails we run, I have no problem keeping up with them all.

I still have the 30 front and 35 rears, unbelievably 307 gears to boot. A friend give me a Lockright for the front and Powertrax for the rear, to slap in for the Big Bear Forest Fest. My intentions are to go with a regeared Dana 44 front and rear, but no time. On that weekend I was surprised on how nice it was to be locked, even though I heard every "P.O.S." story, on how they wouldn't last. So I decided to see for myself. I figured when they break, it’s time to change. That has been four years and many miles traveled. The Lockright in the front is only in use when shifted into 4wd and the Powertrax in the rear always runs. Only on a rare occasion, usually backing up would you even know it's there. (Just a click) I’ve run on dry pavement, rain, snow, mud, sand and rocks. My opinion is they are a good deal for the money and simple to install. I have found them to work fine, What’s nice is you can install them yourself, run them till you need to change, pull them out and sell them to someone new. Bottom Line…. Jeep!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back