windshield?

Greencuke

so i was just watching the owners vidoe that came w/ my new Tj (i know, kinda yuppy, but ive been drinking so leave me alone) and it seems the tj's (or at least later models) have been made more to fold down the windshield. now, My Yj could be folded down obviously, but it was a real project and you really had to be motivated. plus i was told that once u folded it, the seal would wicked leak. Has anyone tried this in a TJ? Its unseasonably warm up here and it'd be a real ****ah if i could enjoy the frick'n weathah. let me know
reggie

As far as I can tell ('03 TJ), mine was not made to "easily" drop the windshield. Lots and lots of Torx-head bolts, removal of the front part of the "Sport" bar, etc. I'm thinking the YJ's are probably easier, but still nowhere near what the original design was....... One of my main gripes with the TJ (#1 is the stinkin' air bag dash).

Saw one a couple of days ago on a wrecker that had the windshield folded down. Looked pretty easy, I think he drove it under a truck.

Don't forget to remove the wipers when dropping the windshield on a TJ, another great improvement :roll: The YJ is much easier to drop the windshield, don't do it if you thought the YJ would have been too much work :shock:

Gee Guys,
On my Jeep all I have to do is remove two knobs.
Of course I drive a Jeep not a Chrysler.:lol:

Last edited:
hey, guess what, im down to one bolt, i lost the other, dont have the stock cage, and yea, the bolt stays halfway in so that it doesnt get tight enough that i cant take it out by hand, so i think i got you beat :D

currupt4130 said:
hey, guess what, im down to one bolt, i lost the other, dont have the stock cage, and yea, the bolt stays halfway in so that it doesnt get tight enough that i cant take it out by hand, so i think i got you beat :D

Aaahhhh, shuddap!!!:evil:

:purple:

hi all, new to the board. great site

87 yj, just did the front speakers (ugh) found out the hard way my hinges were all seized up. you all got me way beat. had to get a bigger hammer and new hinges this spring.

i got an 88 yj sahara and need to change out the lower windsheild gasket. how hard was it to drop the wind sheild and what will i need to seal it up for a very long while

slo-wrench44 said:
i got an 88 yj sahara and need to change out the lower windsheild gasket. how hard was it to drop the wind sheild and what will i need to seal it up for a very long while

as mine were siezed up (from not taping/removed when painted) and digging deeper than the seal (replaced dash speakers)they were a s.o.b.

for seal replacement only. three bolts, torx head, above each speaker and two more torx head in each upper corner (windshield to roll cage) you will have to undo sun visors as well. should lay right down from there.

i just used foam insulation tape (sold for camper shells) comes in a roll from Home depot. nice thick stuff

on the gasket part of this...
i am getting set to replace mine and am wondering if the gasket should be glued to the winshield frame as well as screwed? and what do you use?
thanks

Jasper Jeep said:
Gee Guys,
On my Jeep all I have to do is remove two knobs.

Zing!!!

Jasper Jeep said:
on the gasket part of this...
i am getting set to replace mine and am wondering if the gasket should be glued to the winshield frame as well as screwed? and what do you use?
thanks

I did not glue my gasket down. When I redid the body, I replaced the windshield seal as well. Screwed it down and knobbed the windshield in. I reseated the windshield after a month or so while I was going over re-aligning the doors and such. It dripped a bit for the first month, but after the adjustment, it hasn't leaked a drop. So, it's not necessary.

-X

Hello everyone. I'm obviously new here, but thought I'd pipe in with something useless to start off. Having two levers to drop the windshield is much nicer than all those fancy bolts.

Back