Thread: windshield?

windshield?

so i was just watching the owners vidoe that came w/ my new Tj (i know, kinda yuppy, but ive been drinking so leave me alone) and it seems the tj's (or at least later models) have been made more to fold down the windshield. now, My Yj could be folded down obviously, but it was a real project and you really had to be motivated. plus i was told that once u folded it, the seal would wicked leak. Has anyone tried this in a TJ? Its unseasonably warm up here and it'd be a real ****ah if i could enjoy the frick'n weathah. let me know
    reggie
    you better run Terror! Im comming for you!

Re: windshield?

As far as I can tell ('03 TJ), mine was not made to "easily" drop the windshield. Lots and lots of Torx-head bolts, removal of the front part of the "Sport" bar, etc. I'm thinking the YJ's are probably easier, but still nowhere near what the original design was....... One of my main gripes with the TJ (#1 is the stinkin' air bag dash).
    Just Enjoy Every Possibility!

Saw one a couple of days ago on a wrecker that had the windshield folded down. Looked pretty easy, I think he drove it under a truck.

The YJ is a little easier cause all the bolts are all visable with out removing dash compontents
    It used to be a jeep Thing,
    But all that stuff broke

-Johnny-

Don't forget to remove the wipers when dropping the windshield on a TJ, another great improvement The YJ is much easier to drop the windshield, don't do it if you thought the YJ would have been too much work

6. Re: windshield?

Gee Guys,
    On my Jeep all I have to do is remove two knobs.
    Of course I drive a Jeep not a Chrysler.
    Last edited by Jasper Jeep; 01-31-2006 at 11:41 AM.
    OlllllllO
    "79 CJ7 Old Old Stock dreaming of becoming New Old Stock

hey, guess what, im down to one bolt, i lost the other, dont have the stock cage, and yea, the bolt stays halfway in so that it doesnt get tight enough that i cant take it out by hand, so i think i got you beat
    06 VW (hardcore crawler)

"The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by currupt4130
    hey, guess what, im down to one bolt, i lost the other, dont have the stock cage, and yea, the bolt stays halfway in so that it doesnt get tight enough that i cant take it out by hand, so i think i got you beat

Aaahhhh, shuddap!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper Jeep
    I drive a Jeep not a Chrysler.
    That ain't right right there

10. Re: windshield?

hi all, new to the board. great site

87 yj, just did the front speakers (ugh) found out the hard way my hinges were all seized up. you all got me way beat. had to get a bigger hammer and new hinges this spring.

i got an 88 yj sahara and need to change out the lower windsheild gasket. how hard was it to drop the wind sheild and what will i need to seal it up for a very long while
    88 yj sahara, SBC 350/TCI MAXIMIZER TH350. Rubicon Express 4.5 extream duty lift. Edelbrock AVS 4x4 carb 3" body lift. SmittyBuilt rock crawler front bumper. Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter. And a bunch of other stuff.

12. Re: windshield?

Quote Originally Posted by slo-wrench44
    i got an 88 yj sahara and need to change out the lower windsheild gasket. how hard was it to drop the wind sheild and what will i need to seal it up for a very long while
    as mine were siezed up (from not taping/removed when painted) and digging deeper than the seal (replaced dash speakers)they were a s.o.b.

for seal replacement only. three bolts, torx head, above each speaker and two more torx head in each upper corner (windshield to roll cage) you will have to undo sun visors as well. should lay right down from there.

i just used foam insulation tape (sold for camper shells) comes in a roll from Home depot. nice thick stuff

13. Re: windshield?

on the gasket part of this...
    i am getting set to replace mine and am wondering if the gasket should be glued to the winshield frame as well as screwed? and what do you use?
    thanks
    OlllllllO
    "79 CJ7 Old Old Stock dreaming of becoming New Old Stock

Gee Guys,
    On my Jeep all I have to do is remove two knobs.
    Zing!!!

on the gasket part of this...
    i am getting set to replace mine and am wondering if the gasket should be glued to the winshield frame as well as screwed? and what do you use?
    thanks
    I did not glue my gasket down. When I redid the body, I replaced the windshield seal as well. Screwed it down and knobbed the windshield in. I reseated the windshield after a month or so while I was going over re-aligning the doors and such. It dripped a bit for the first month, but after the adjustment, it hasn't leaked a drop. So, it's not necessary.

-X
    If there's anyone capable of beating that moron at his own game, it's you, sir.

15. Re: windshield?

Hello everyone. I'm obviously new here, but thought I'd pipe in with something useless to start off. Having two levers to drop the windshield is much nicer than all those fancy bolts.