YJ Rich Mixture Emission Problem

90growler

OK....I cannot seem to figure out what is up with my emmisions. Carbon deposits shoot out of my tailpipe and streak up my driveway. I cannot get it to pass emmisions. Here is a list of what I have replaced....can't figure it out.

Oxygen Sensor,Air Temp Sensor, Map Sensor,Catalytic Conv.,Ignition Coil and ICM,Spark Plugs

1990 2.5L TBI YJ

You could make sure all your emissions related vacuum lines are in good shape and have vacuum where they should. I had a Datsun 280Z that would not pass and it was a simple vacuum line.

TN.........All lines are good and have been checked..........no cracks visable on the manifold.

Check the fuel pressure regulator, I was having the same issue, replaced everything I could think of and the pressure regulator ended up being the issue.

If you have a '91 than you have Multi-Port Injection which the fuel system is always under pressure. I have Throttle body injection(not under pressure unless running).......do you think that would still be the case?

I'm not 100% sure but someone can correct me if I'm wrong since I do have a 91 with MPI. But there is still a fuel pressure regulator on the TBI systems and if it is faulty then this could be the cause of you running rich. I checked my Haynes and the pressure for the TBI engines should be at about 14-15 psi. It says to use a 0-30 psi pressure gauge to check. Wouldn't hurt to check it out I think.

here's a thought. i know in new york that if you get and estimate for repaire to the emissions system that states it costs over $400 to fix it, just in parts no labor, then you can get an emissions waiver. check with you laws for your state. sounds like you bought a bunch of expencive parts . get an estimate and see where you stand. my yj hasnt passed inspection yet and its on the road legaly . later guys

Back