no love returned - exhaust probs?

tint_rookie

so i did the TFI mod last week.

very very happy.

as i dont do a lot of freeway driving, this weekend after a nice long 1oo mile drive, towards the end of the trek it felt as the timing was a bit off. hit it with the test light, just a couple degrees off, so i adjusted it.

well, she gradually got more and more guttless on the way home. quite a dissapointment to go from reving through 3 grand and hitting 70 for the first time, to 4th gear floored not gettin past 2 grand and a nice hissing noise from under the cab. (plugs still nice and clean)

my theory.......after the TFI mod i burnt off a bunch of build up and finished off an already clogging cat. most everything was bone stock and original when i got the rig a couple years ago (a good and a bad thing i suppose), it wouldnt surprise me if the cat was almost 20 years old as well. well over due.

any input? threories? suggestions?

i hate to spend any excess on my current set up, as im shooting for a 5.0 swap this spring.

are high flow cats worth the extra dough to hold me over till my 5.0 build is done or should a standard universal suffice?

I bought a High flow cat from summit racing for 80 bucks, stainless too. It's really small, has a nice sound... can't beat that price.

www.summitracing.com

TwistedCopper said:
Or...

Beat the one you got like a red-headed stepchild and hollow it out.

thought about that, if i had a welder to put her back into place. turns out it has a cheap-o aftermarket weld in, in place. looks as old as the jeep though.

ive been surfin around finding info on clogged cats, symptoms much the same as mine. prob w/the web. any idiot (like me) can justify their arument by reading what they want (or dont want)

couple sites said cats were designed to last the life of the vehicle and if they fail its a sign of a serious problem. (hopefully, already solved with the TFI)

so any way, when they say the life of the vehicle, i wonder what lifetime really means.

(in the tint industry its 5-6 years, the length of time most people hold onto a vehicle before tradit in)

found a shop that was "down for the cause"

beat the bottom out that cat like it was from the red light dist.

my god, what a difference.

now i just gave myself a 1yr deadline to go small block.

in the meantime ill do the nutter (and ill do a write up for y'all)

im having the same problem with my YJ, i think im just gonna cut it out and run straight pipe, they dont have that mandatory emmisions testing stuff around here yet so i can get away with it

MikeB said:
they dont have that mandatory emmisions testing stuff around here yet so i can get away with it

You know what's funny is Kali and all the other commie states require the bone stock factory setup for smog, when a properly tuned good (MC2100/weber) carb with ignition upgrade and a nutter will run cleaner than the factory setup ever did. Typical govt BS.

wm69 said:
You know what's funny is Kali and all the other commie states require the bone stock factory setup for smog, when a properly tuned good (MC2100/weber) carb with ignition upgrade and a nutter will run cleaner than the factory setup ever did. Typical govt BS.

aint that the truth. THE KALI SMOG NAZI SUKS. i lost one rig to em' (well forced to trade it in to let the stealer deal with reversing all the performance work)

Back