Restoration Additives

90growler

I have been doing some searching for a additive that will help my high milage engine. I read on another Jeep forum that this stuff really works.
www.auto-rx.com

Anybody reccomend?:confused:

i'm skeptical, keep that crap outta my jeep... my preferred method is to change the oil religiously and replace leaky seals as needed. those band-aid fixes aren't my style.

I'd be skeptical too, skeptical about any 'metal cleaner' cleaning a little too well and clogging the oil filter and pump with gunk.

Check this out taken from the AutoRx website:
I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 liter HO 6 cylinder with 174,000+ miles. It had developed a bad lifter noise and leaked about 2 tablespoons of synthetic oil each night out of the rear main seal. It was leaking enough while running to cover a large area of the underbody. I had tried several detergent additives and a motor flush with no results.
Have you considered maybe replacing the rear main seal, idiot?

I heard about your product on the Internet and as a last resort before pulling the engine for major repairs I decided to try it. I changed the oil to dino oil from synthetic, put on a new filter and added your product and drove the car for 700 miles. The leak was less and the lifter noise stopped about 500 miles after I put the Auto-Rx® in. I did the second treatment the same way and the results were excellent.
Gee, idiot, were the results of this scientific experiment from the additive or from switching from Syn. to Dino? Dino oil is known to swell seals and help reduce leaks. :roll:

OK...so all of these products are scams. Touchy subject. I was just seeing if there was any truth in it or anything for that matter.

90growler said:
OK...so all of these products are scams.

Try not to generalize, i think some products may have their merits... but there is never a substitute for doing the job RIGHT. what exactly is wrong with your engine besides the miles? leaking anything? blowing smoke? burning oil? poor mileage? overheating?

my '94 XJ has 225,000 miles, doesn't leak a drop... doesn't burn any oil... starts every time. why? regular maintenence and a little TLC.

i DO run a heavier weight oil than usual (20w-50) because i've found that thinner oil tends to push its way through seals/gaskets a little more easily. if you're going to run a heavy weight oil like this, always make sure you let her warm up before you start driving... especially in the winter!

Last edited:
Not a touchy subject, and it doesn't imply that every oil or fuel additive is a scam. Our views are only opinions and personal observations. It's good that you asked, it's why we're here.

I have used the product "Restore" on an 86 Toyota 4x4 truck. It had a tired motor and that stuff made an improvement in gas economy and power. It actually quieted the 22R engine down a bit too. I ran IT for a couple years, adding that stuff every 6 months. It ran strong when I sold it.

I'm not usually one to use or advocate that kind of product but I honestly believe it made a difference in that truck. If I ever pick up an old beater again I'd use it agin.

This motor is fighting for it's life and I don't have the cash to do a complete overhaul right now.

I've used the product you mention, works for what it is intended to do (I was skeptical too). It is not going to solve a mechanical problem for ya if thats what your after. Auto-Rx cleans and migh help with certain seals. That is all i was told and the only reaspn why I purchased it (cleaning). Don't want to act like a salesman so I'll shutup.

Back