One of those "seems simple" problems

SenorCole86

Alright guys, I left for college last fall and had to leave my Jeep in Texas, but when I came home for Thanksgiving, it was dead. Deader than a doornail. The thing will not crank and NO electrical system works at all depspite there being ~10V in the battery. I recently put a painless harness in it and was wondering if there is some fusible link I'm gonna have to dig for. Another thing that I thought of but didn't check wass the ignition switch. I just assumed this wasn't the problem because NO system worked, and the accessories aren't wired through this switch, unless I'm wrong. Any help at all would be greatly apprecitated guys. Thanks a lot.

Charge your battery, or jump it! It may read 10V, but not have enough amperage to run anything.

That's what ya get for going to college!! I went to college once, and when I was done, I found out I had to get a job AND pay back all my student loans!!! College sucks!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I tried jumping it, and that didn't work, so I took it in to have it charged but left again before I was able to get it back. I'll try it with the fully charged battery here in a couple of weeks.

Son of a gun, well, thanks for making me feel stupid guys :p. Just kidding. But seriously, thanks for your help.

Alright, got the battery back. Got a full charge on it and the parts store says it's ok. Still, absolutely nothing works. Not even the slightest glow in any lights, and it won't crank at all. Does anybody have any ideas? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, adios.

SenorCole86 said:
Alright, got the battery back. Got a full charge on it and the parts store says it's ok. Still, absolutely nothing works. Not even the slightest glow in any lights, and it won't crank at all. Does anybody have any ideas? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, adios.

If you are absolutely sure the battery has a good charge and will hold one, you'll need a voltmeter to start troubleshooting. Start with checking voltage at the battery terminals, then at every spot back from there. If the battery is truly good and nothing works, there is a bad connection, cable, fuseable link(?), or component not letting voltage pass. Eventually you'll find a spot where it should go from 13.4V or so to much lower or nothing.

Back