How hard to replace the rear seal in transfer case.

jeeperwilly

My 92' has sprung a leak from the ole NP 231(leaking right off the slip-yoke). It's pretty much coated the entire rearend of the jeep with ATF fluid. Just wondering how hard it is to replace the seal, how long it would take, and if I need any special tools. This is typical luck for me. I finally get it running good and something had to break. Oh well, its a jeep, they're supposed to do this... right?

Thanks again everyone, Paul.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I replaced mine a few months ago. This is not a tough job at all.. Undo the universal straps from the rear yoke, pull the slip yoke from the transfer case. You will most likely lost some more ATF at this point, so make sure you are willing to get a mess or catch it. The seal is the visible plasic/metal piece around the slip yoke. The hardest part is getting this out, and its not tough at all. They sell seal removers at all parts stores, they just bend and make it hell. Use a pair of needle nose vice grips and pull that bugger off from there. Clean out the seal seat, and replace the new one. It may be helpful to use a piece of wood to evenly apply pounded pressure to seat it. Let me know how it turns out. - Snitty[addsig]

Replaced mine 3 times, replaced the bushing, havn´t had to replace it again. Wiggle the yoke around in there a little, should give you an idea if there is excessive play. Bushing is a little rought to get out without a big vise. And a little rough to get back in without dinging it up some, a liberal coat of oil helps, so does a mild steel pipe about the same diameter (a couple of small dings can be filed out carefully with out messing anything up). A good cleaning and automotive silicon works as well as the extension housing (tail piece) gasket.[addsig]

Got that little bugger in! Seems like its not leaking anymore so, that must have been it. Thanks much snitty and mudchuck, your knoweldge is very much appreciated. Keep on jeepin, and thanks again,

Paul [addsig]

good to hear that its working. my rear diff did that as well... I ended up going in to change the bearing... and i found out i had a few chewed up ring/pinion teeth... the donor jeep came in for a wallet hero there.[addsig]

Back