Help with the Nutter....

YJBLUE

Anyone out there do the Nutter Bypass on their YJ/CJ? I'm getting ready to do it soon and I have the instructions in front of me but there is just one thing I'm not sure of and that's setting the timing. Normally, I set the timing at 9 degrees BTDC at 1600 RPM (hose disconnected and plugged). Now, after I Nutter the ignition, (rewire the distributor to bypass the computer) the instructions simply say to set the timing at 8 derees BTDC. Should I set it at 8 BTDC at idle speed (approx 700 RPM) or at 1600 RPM??? Any help before I screw up is appreciated. Thanks..........

1988 YJ with 4.2L engine. Soon to do the TFI upgrade as well.

you really cant screw it up that bad (timing) I only use the light if I cant get it timed by driving. 9 at 1600 is whats on the hood, and in the haynes manuals, and works fine, as does 8... I did the nutter a while back, and the TFI, it worked much better. I timed it til it ran and reved smooth then drove it, with a 1/2" wrench in the console --to tune it as I ragged it up and down the street. Thats the preferred way to do it Ive learned... Just drive it, punch the throttle, get it screaming up and down the block, advancing and retarting it until its no longer knocking and pinging up to 4500 rpm. Thats how I do it, and it has worked fine for me. DO you have to do it that way, NO, but you just might sqeeze a lil more power out of it. Many will disagree, but it works well...
good luck, this site has aided me more than I can count, and can help you too. Alot of your questions can be answered here. In fact if you search all my posts, I think youll get alot of info - since mine are mostly of the "asking for help/advice" sort...

good luck and happy wheelin!

Back