Bad Shimmy

arkypyro

My 97TJ just recently developed a sporadic shimmy. I have 32's with a 2 inch terralift. Since the shimmy started I replaced the steering shaft(all the u-joints were shot), had it on a lift and all tie rod ends, knuckle, trac bar, and steering damper appear good according to the guy at the tire shop who would have sold me a repair job if he could have. The steering damper is only about 6 months old and when pulled loose at one end is still good. My tires still have about half the tread left, and show no signs of cupping or uneven wear.My shock bushings were shot but I replaced all my shock this evening. It drives straight with no pull and runs straight while braking. On the way from my shop to the house the shimmy/wobble showed up as bad as ever. As I said, it is sporadic. It seems to manifest itself at speeds above 45 or so, usually needs a small bump to set it off. Does often go off in a long sweeping left turn but never in a right turn. Sometimes starts while braking and braking never helps just makes it worse. the shimmy is very violent, jerking the steering wheel left and right. with the front end jumping around. I, all my buddies, the manager at Auto Zone(my cousin), and the guys at the tire shop are all stumped. If anyone can offer any advice it will be appreciated.

Man, that really sucks! Don't really think I'm much help here, but the first thing that pops in my mind is the tires. Sounds like you've inspected/replaced about everything else and you did mention that there's about half tread left. Have you checked the balance? Had a recent alignment? It's really amazing how much trouble faulty tires can cause.....especially when you get up into the 32 range...............just a thought - I'm sure it's been going through your mind, too. Good luck diagnosing.

I agree with Mud, check the tires. Even at half tread, there could be enough uneven wear to make the death wobble, even if you can't see it. Or you could even have a broken belt in the tire. I had that happen on a set of tires in my old Datsun PU, and the tires only had about 10,000 miles on them. Or, you may have thrown a weight off a wheel, too.

Keep us updated with what you find out, it's the only way we learn around here....at least it's the only way I learn things.

I agree...can you swap the tires front to back and test drive to isolate the problem?? LBR

i know you said you checked the track bar, but thats the only thing that i can think of that would do this. pull it off and make sure none of the mounts are wallowed out and that the joints are good.

95% of the time I've found it's usually a combination of bad front track bar and bad control arm bushings. Have somebody turn the steering wheel back and forth off of full-lock while you watch both ends of the track bar for movement.

Inspect the control arm bushings for tears with a flashlight and a screwdriver.

Both are very likely on a 9 year old jeep.

I will be rotating the tire this evening. We checked the track bar just as you mentioned and also with a crow bar between the bar and axle housing. No significant movement. Since this is a new development I have to think that my geometry is correct. I have been considering switching my control arm bushings to poly, but haven't had the time or money. How hard are they to change out. I noticed when I had my rear end out that the rubber bushing are in there very tight.

I always say this...check the lug nuts. Expecially if the problem is occurring in turns. I left some lug nuts loose on my old Cherokee once and it displayed the same exact thing you are talking about. Other than that, do what was said above.

arkypyro said:
I will be rotating the tire this evening. We checked the track bar just as you mentioned and also with a crow bar between the bar and axle housing. No significant movement. Since this is a new development I have to think that my geometry is correct. I have been considering switching my control arm bushings to poly, but haven't had the time or money. How hard are they to change out. I noticed when I had my rear end out that the rubber bushing are in there very tight.
If changing them, I would keep the rubber bushings in the control arms. If for nothing else, ride comfort.

Significant movement? It doesn't take much, and is the frame end has any movement it is the likely source of your trouble.

Did you lose any tire weight(s)?

What you have is commonly referred to as "death wobble" and the trackbar bushing is the likely culprit. The frame (top) end is most prone to going bad.

If nothing is obvious
I would rotate the tires, then change the upper trackbar bushing, then get an alignment, then change the control arm bushings in that order. It pretty much has to be one of these.

Back